Advice 0n new chart plotter

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok folks, Slow Ride was vandalized and the jerk made off with my stereo, chartplotter, etc..... So I will be looking for new electronics this week and thought I would check to see if you all had any suggestions. I had a Garmin 740s that worked fine but I would like to get something with a little larger screen. I fish mostly in the Gulf about 30-70 miles off the Texas coast. I would also like to have an autopilot installed. So, which system would you guys suggest. I really like Garmin for ease of use but I'm not loyal to Garmin. Raymarine, Garmin, Lorant come to mind. Any suggestions?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Advice 0n new chart plotter

Personaly I like Standard Horison products, very easy to use, the new Sea Map MAX charts are great, just plugged full of information.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Above X 2....They make a very good product!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Get a Garmin 4210 or 5210 and a Garmin GHP 10 auto pilot

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dingbat,
That's exactly what I've been looking at. Although, I had not realized the auto pilot was so expensive. Looks like the GHP 10 with pump is around 3k. YIKES!

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would look at Simrad for an autopilot. They have been making them forever and tend to lean more to the commercial market. You will end up with a very dependable product. M first choice would be something with virtual rudder feedback especially if you have outboards. I would not buy Raymarine for an autopilot. I've been though 3 of them and I am not the only one.
I have been on several boats with Lowrance plotters and they end up as backups to something that cost half as much. The Raymarine C series has been out for a while now and customers seem very happy with them. I was very happru with my C120. The digital depth finder is awesome. Garmin makes a good plotter.
Buy the way I owned a marine electronics business for years. I have installed and repaired just about every brand you can think of. Simrad was one of the few companies that did not kill an old product. If it was 20 years old and they could still get you the part you needed they would help you out.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kahuna123,

I really like the garmin mostly because I know how to use it. I'm not apposed to learning a new system but I'd like to stay with it if possible. Assuming they are all NMEA 2000, can you mix and match products, ie Garmin plotter and Simrad auto pilot?

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes you can mix and match. That was the idea. Although it was supposed to happen in 2000!!!!! Suzuki is NEMA compliant our of the box. Merc is an add on. I don't know about ETEC. Pretty cool to have your engine readouts and fuel consumption read out on your plotter. All other NEMA compliant products can communicate with each other.