Washdown and livewell on same pump?

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I realize I just made a topic about my pump, but I will will replace it soon which leads me to, is it possible to run a live well and a wash down off of the same pump? If it is, how do people do it? I can think of the obvious way, using a valve to block the live well when the wash down is wanted...but I thought I could get some sort of automatic diverter valve to divert the full flow to the washdown hose when I press the trigger, and send it to the livewell otherwise. Kind of like a kitchen sink with a separate sprayer. Apparently those are not as easy to find as I thought or they are not made for this application. Any ideas about that?

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Washdown and livewell on same pump?

Adapting a kitchen valve must be possible somehow. Sounds like a mission to me.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

They are plumbed that way in a lot of boats. My 21' Angler had that set up. There is a water flow adjuster that screws on the output side of the livewell. This has a small handle that allows you to adjust the water flow to keep the livewell at the proper feed/drain level without over flowing. When you want a washdown pump, unscrew the adjuster and screw on the coiled washdown hose. Same 3/4" threaded fitting.

valve.jpg

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They are plumbed that way in a lot of boats. My 21' Angler had that set up. There is a water flow adjuster that screws on the output side of the livewell. This has a small handle that allows you to adjust the water flow to keep the livewell at the proper feed/drain level without over flowing. When you want a washdown pump, unscrew the adjuster and screw on the coiled washdown hose. Same 3/4" threaded fitting.

View attachment 127787

Oh I didn't even think of attaching a a hose at the live-well. Shows you how much experience I have with live-wells and wash-down systems (just about none). I'll have to check if my livewell already has that 3/4 inch thread. It'll save me a a lot of trouble if it does.