Want a small, simple GPS/chartplotter for my new boat

Philster

Captain
This is about what the interior of my new boat will look like.

41731_5.jpg

I will have a small spot, somewhere around 10-11 o'clock from the steering wheel on the helm to mount a GPS unit.

I will actually have a couple of more gauges than the boat pictured, and they'll be on the right. It is coming with a depth finder. I want a simple, reliable and small no-fuss GPS. I think less is more. I don't need it to do 1100 different things. A bracket that only allows the unit to stand up seems like it wouldn't work. I'm thinking maybe I need one that offers various mounting arrangements.

Feel free to opine. :)

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Want a small, simple GPS/chartplotter for my new boat

On my last boat, i mounted a 5" Garmin in the dash about where the compass is in your picture. I found myself always leaning forward to look at it. So I agree, mounting flexibility is important.

Personally, the 5" screen size is as small as I would want to go, but your eyes may work better than mine.

What size screen do you think you have room for?

Philster

Captain

Eeks... you see a compass in that pic? You mean the cup holder?

I'm thinking the whole unit needs to be narrow, more vertical in configuration. Eh... I think the smallest screen size there is that is practical, which might be 4-4.5". Vision is fine, sonny!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Still looks like a compass, but that just supports why I had to lean in to see my gps.

The picture gets fuzzy when I zoom in. Is that a cup holder just to the left of the steering wheel?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

I will actually have a couple of more gauges than the boat pictured, and they'll be on the right. It is coming with a depth finder. I want a simple, reliable and small no-fuss GPS.

I would put a "HOLD" on the depth finder installation while you consider your options. With so little real estate to work with, your solution cries out for a combination unit.

Philster

Captain

Egad... you might be right on the combo unit. I'm sitting here like a dope and it never dawned on me that the combo unit would be my friend in this case! Gots to call my dealer now....

:facepalm: