Marine Chart Plotter/Auto GPS Combos?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
What's the current status/selection available? The posts I've found on this topic are 2-3 years old. I'm hoping the features have improved and the prices lowered somewhat by now.

I'd really like to have a chart plotter for my boat, but even with my most creative thinking haven't been able to justify the cost (I don't want the hand-held type). However, if I had one I could use on my boat, as a chart plotter, and in my truck, as a road map gps (or the other way around), I could justify something in the $150-$250 range - maybe a little more. For the marine component, I'm not interested in navigating to Tahiti - just want to be able to locate and mark fishing areas along the coast and in bays in So. Cal.

Can any of the current generation of marine chart plotters be fitted with a card that would give road map capability on the road? Does the cost of such a card skew the overall price way out of wack? Suggestions?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Marine Chart Plotter/Auto GPS Combos?

For a decent chart plotter/GPS, look into eBay and find one that has the auction ending around 2:00 am. About the cheapest (color) you're going to find is $400-500. B&W might be available for $200.

Road map navigation is totally different than marine. Two completely different units.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Marine Chart Plotter/Auto GPS Combos?

There are a few multipurpose units available. Essentially, they are automotive models that have been made water-resistant and can take marine charts on SD cards. Lowrance used to have the XOG (find one on eBay), and I think Garmin makes/made one too.