24 volt, 3 wire plug/receptacle for my 24 v Minnkota

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer
Hello guys,

I have a 24v Minnkota that I purchased new a few years back, but can't seem to find the wiring diagrams. I have a setup now that I just have a jumper between my 2 - 12v deep cycle batteries, and two wingnuts for my positive/negative connections. Works, but not 'neat'. I DID have a setup with 4 wires on my previous boat -- so I could charge the batteries easily -- but used a home 4-wire range plug. Worked great, but wasn't 'asthetically pleasing to the eye'. :)

So with the 3-wire plug/receptacles -- is there a jumper built in on the plug or something? I'm just not sure why three wires, and not 2 or 4?

I saw someone else had a post similar to this, but didn't want to infringe on his own issues. Sorry. :redface:

Thanks for any info --

Jason

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 24 volt, 3 wire plug/receptacle for my 24 v Minnkota

Here is my limited understanding of TM wiring. A 2 wire/plug circuit allows for a 12V, 24V, 36V system where the 24V and 36V system?s batteries are put in series by a jumper/s at the batteries. A 3 wire/plug circuit allows for the above plus a 12/24V system where the 24V system batteries are put in series by a jumper at the batteries. A 4 wire/plug circuit allows for all of the above plus it gives the option of putting the batteries in series at the batteries or at the TM plug. It also allows you to buy a separate male plug and wire it so you can charge both batteries with one charger (something I?ve done but is not optimum).

If I understand your post above, you have a 24V TM that is powered by two 12V batteries that are put in series by a jumper at the batteries and uses 2 wires of a 3 wire/plug system. I?ve never seen a 3 wire/plug system with a jumper at the plug. Others might have. As far as your current system not being ?neat,? I?m not sure why it can?t be made to be neat.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Okey dokey -- I think I'm wanting a 2 wire setup instead of a 3 wire. I figured that was what I wanted, as I have only two wires coming from the batteries (yes, the jumper is between the batteries under the seat), but just didn't understand why 3 wires would be something you'd want?

Also -- a question about an onboard battery charger (now, I connect two battery chargers, and pull the jumper off one terminal -- Don't even know if removing the jumper is necessary, to show you how much I know. :( ) If I purchased a two-bank onboard charger, do I need to disconnect the jumper wire, or can I leave it in place? If I can leave everything together, I can understand why it would be such an advantage. Just grab the cord and plug 'er in.

Thanks for the information D-Dubya...

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jason,

Two months ago, I was dragging out multiple chargers and disconnecting TM plug and jumper at batteries prior to charging. I now understand that none of that is necessary. As for the onboard charger, connect the leads and you are good to go. You said you were getting a two-bank charger. I'm going to assume you have a third starter battery and recommend you get a three-bank charger. In my research, it seems that two of the worse things you can do to a battery is frequently discharge below 50% (I try not to discharge mine below 70%) and not recharge immediately if discharged below 95%. I run all my electronics off my starter battery. If I run a lot during my fishing day my starter battery keeps a full charge. If I start fishing with the TM from the ramp and never fire the big engine up, I get a pretty good discharge on the starter battery. If I forget to recharge when I get home the battery sits in a discharged state. It took having to jump off the big motor with one of the TM batteries one morning after making a couple short runs for the obvious to become a revelation to me.

If you have not decided on a onboard charger, I would recommend a NOCO. I bought a NOCO Gen3 from SmallParts.com for $141 with free 2 day shipping. The transaction was flawless. My reasoning for buying a NOCO was they had good reviews from the forums I read, are American made, carry a three year warranty, are compact, cables and cord are ample length, provide 10 amps per bank, shuts off after charging and turns back on every 24 hours to check charge status, and more.

Hope this helps and thanks for the handle,

D-Dubya

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

On the onboard charger--I use the minn kota 230 (2 bank 15amp per) and love it. I just have it hooked to the trolling batteries as my outboard charges my starting/accessory battery. It was a bit more expensive than the NOCO above but does the job perfectly. Good Luck

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Jason,

Two months ago, I was dragging out multiple chargers and disconnecting TM plug and jumper at batteries prior to charging. I now understand that none of that is necessary. As for the onboard charger, connect the leads and you are good to go. You said you were getting a two-bank charger. I'm going to assume you have a third starter battery and recommend you get a three-bank charger. In my research, it seems that two of the worse things you can do to a battery is frequently discharge below 50% (I try not to discharge mine below 70%) and not recharge immediately if discharged below 95%. I run all my electronics off my starter battery. If I run a lot during my fishing day my starter battery keeps a full charge. If I start fishing with the TM from the ramp and never fire the big engine up, I get a pretty good discharge on the starter battery. If I forget to recharge when I get home the battery sits in a discharged state. It took having to jump off the big motor with one of the TM batteries one morning after making a couple short runs for the obvious to become a revelation to me.

If you have not decided on a onboard charger, I would recommend a NOCO. I bought a NOCO Gen3 from SmallParts.com for $141 with free 2 day shipping. The transaction was flawless. My reasoning for buying a NOCO was they had good reviews from the forums I read, are American made, carry a three year warranty, are compact, cables and cord are ample length, provide 10 amps per bank, shuts off after charging and turns back on every 24 hours to check charge status, and more.

Hope this helps and thanks for the handle,

D-Dubya

Great info!!! And, yes, I DO have a third starting battery -- but was under the assumption that it is charged (somewhat, anyway) by the engine, since I will start the boat, and the battery is registering 12.9 after sitting a week or two, and within an hour or so, it's up to around 13.5v.

I looked and the 3 banker is not that much more than a two bank -- so I'm gonna get the three bank. Life will seem so easy when I'm done fishing or pontooning -- plug it in. No more digging out the two big battery chargers from the back of the truck, take the seat cover off, hook 'em up, plug 'em in, and then 6 hours later, reverse the process.

My 80 lb thrust will push our pontoon 4.5 mph (gps verified) wide open for about an hour and a half, or half speed for a little over 3 hours. I love the quietness of the trolling motor -- and have even considered buying a couple more batteries and make a second connection for when one set dies out, I still have the second set. Gas is fine, but at low speeds, its very nice cruising without any additional noise.

Thank you very much D-Dubya for the help... And you're welcome... :D

Thanks also K-David.... The information you supplied was quite helpful. I appreciate the abilities of many others on this forum - it's nice to have a place to 'tap into' some knowledge.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

your welcome from me--I am for sure a novice but glad I could add something to help you.