• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Can you splice a transducer wire

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you splice a transducer wire

Last weekend I cut my transducer wire with my trolling motor( pulling it up and had to turn the head)
    I know they say your not supposed to cut the wires but has anyone ever spliced the transducer wire? Did it work?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Can you splice a transducer wire

Here's an earlier thread where this is discussed.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ransducer+wire

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I spliced one a couple of years ago. It worked fine.

I cut the wire pairs (about 5 of them as I recall) to different lengths so the butt connectors wouldn't all sit in the same spot. I shrink wrapped each pair, too. Tedious operation but it worked.

My .02
        John and Linda
        Long Island, NY
        Escapade III
        1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
        Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 LX

Comment

Originally posted by JoLin View Post
          I spliced one a couple of years ago. It worked fine.

I cut the wire pairs (about 5 of them as I recall) to different lengths so the butt connectors wouldn't all sit in the same spot. I shrink wrapped each pair, too. Tedious operation but it worked.

My .02
          And it saves me about $60 bucks. Thanks. I'm going to try it this weekend (unless I go fishing).
          Last edited by KDAVID1; September 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yes, it will work fine. I use shrink connectors, then shrink tubing over each wire, then shrink tube all wires together. Make sure you put the large shrinktube on before you start the connections. Good luck.

Chris Craft 254 Seahawk
            Visit my refurbish/upgrade project here.
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=483913

Comment

Roger that. Thanks again.

Comment

yes no problem mine was only co ax but if you have a temp sensor it will be more wires ..

Comment

Originally posted by fucawi View Post
                  yes no problem mine was only co ax but if you have a temp sensor it will be more wires ..
                  Yeah has temp too--I'll guessing about 3hrs of work--it will give me something to do

Comment

Originally posted by KDAVID1 View Post
                    Yeah has temp too--I'll guessing about 3hrs of work--it will give me something to do
                    Not unless the splice is buried somewhere. And make sure you have good wire insertion into the butts before you crimp. Little tiny 22GA wire is a PITA to work with, so take your time...

Comment

Originally posted by seabob4 View Post
                      Not unless the splice is buried somewhere. And make sure you have good wire insertion into the butts before you crimp. Little tiny 22GA wire is a PITA to work with, so take your time...
                      Defiantly will be taking my time. I will be soldering so no but splice--knowing how things really go it may take me all day--but that is ok with me as long as it is a good job and it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X