perko switch ?

Chuck_1443

Cadet
i have three batterys can i hook my home battery charger to the starting battery and turn the perko switch to all and charge all 3 ? the home charger is a trickle charger so it will be left on after each use.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: perko switch ?

Technically, yes. However, if one is a starting battery and the other two are deep cycles (typical trolling motor setup) then you should get something like a ProMariner tripple battery 20amp onboard charger so the deep cycles are on their own independent charging cirucuits. The risk is that one or more batteries may be demanding a higher charge rate and you'll cook any that are not. You can get an isolator from Perko that will isolate the batteries during charging but the tripple isolator is nearly as expensive as the ProMariner.

Yes, I realize you said you have a trickle charger. That means a charge rate of 2amps and with 3 batteries it will take you forever to get them all up to full.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The batteries are self regulating so a deep cycle and a starting battery plus one additional deep cycle will take care of "charge rate" on an individual battery basis regardless where the charger is hooked. To the charger, this system looks like one giant battery. The most deeply discharged will not only suck 2 amps from the maintainer, but it will also suck whatever it can from the other two batteries until all three have equalized at which time all three will continue to charge at at the same rate. I do agree that an on-board charger with three outputs, each with a minimum of 5 - 6 amps would be far better for the batteries (as well as allowing use of the maintainer for something a little less demanding).

Chuck_1443

Cadet

ok thanks guys , sorry but im green .should i run the outboard from fishing spot to spot with the perko switch on all to put a charge to all 3 batteries or not ,and does the other onboard charger that was mentioned replace the perko or is it just a at home charger ? thanks again

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

ok thanks guys , sorry but im green .should i run the outboard from fishing spot to spot with the perko switch on all to put a charge to all 3 batteries or not ,and does the other onboard charger that was mentioned replace the perko or is it just a at home charger ? thanks again

The charging system on your engine does not have enough capacity to charge ONE battery that is deeply discharged in a short run from hole to hole. Maximum alternator output is only achieved at wide open throttle. So look at it this way. If yu ran just one accessory (a trolling motor for example) for one hour -- that motor would suck up about 20 - 40 amps from that battery. If your outboard had a 20 amp alternator, you would need to run wide open for at least an hour to replace that amount of engergy. So the short answer is "it doesn't matter". You will not replace enough energy to make a significant difference. Set the switch to the most deeply discharged battery for the long ride home. Or -- just plug in at the dock when you get there.