GPS + Chartplotter + fish-finder uint?

baylake

Seaman
Hello,

I like some feedback on this topic. What are good model? What will you recommend? Do I really need the chart-plotter option or GPS will do?

Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: GPS + Chartplotter + fish-finder uint?

GPS = bread crumbs on a monochrome screen. Chartplotter = map. Which you would prefer to navigate with? ;)

Neted

Seaman Apprentice
The features depend on where you do your boating. If your always on the same lake you probably don't need a chart plotter. If you trailer it's probably a good idea to get a chart potter. Fish finder, if you fish, seems like a no brainer. Go to a marine store and look at all the models on display they all have a demo mode so you can get a feel of what each model offers. I just upgraded to the garmin 740s. Love it! But I boat all over and they had a sweet rebate offer on that model last month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What are you going to use it for????

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Baylake - I had a Garmin 185s Chartplotter with Sounder (combo unit) from 2000 - 2010. It was a good unit and I used in in Galveston West Bay and offshore with great results. This January I upgraded to a Garmin 546S Chartplotter/Sounder unit and it's awesome. Bigger, much faster, color, charts, sounder/fishfinder, tide tables, and everything except birth control (which we don't need any more anyway). I have a small boat (17') so I can't load it down with a bunch of different electronics. I also have an ICOM 422 fixed VHF and the two units communicate with each other for auto plotting of distress calls.

We apparently boat in similar waters so I can tell you that the charts of West Bay which came pre-loaded into the unit are excellent. Of course, the cut through San Luis Pass changes constantly so you have to stay on top of things when you go through there. However, I really really like this unit. They don't give these things away, but for me it was well worth the money and I'm extremenly satisfied with the unit. Hope this helps. -Woodnaut

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a Garmin also, 178c but it is the same as the current 400 series and I love it, tells em more than I could ever want to know.

You cna set up the screens however you want, I am normally in the split screen, half fish finder half map and you can choose any 3 info items to have at the top of the screen, I have speed, voltage and time,.

Something else is the interface is pretty intuitive and you don't need a masters degree to get it to work.

baylake

Seaman

We apparently boat in similar waters so I can tell you that the charts of West Bay which came pre-loaded into the unit are excellent. Of course, the cut through San Luis Pass changes constantly so you have to stay on top of things when you go through there. However, I really really like this unit. They don't give these things away, but for me it was well worth the money and I'm extremenly satisfied with the unit. Hope this helps. -Woodnaut
Woodnaut - Glad to have your feedback. Can you give me some more details on what to look for on San Luis Pass? I have looked into venture out there in a near future.

Thank you all for all of the feedbacks.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Take a look on Google Earth at San Luis Pass and you'll get a good idea of what the channel generally looks like. Like I mentioned, it continually shifts so this year isn't the same as last year. Luckily the locals generally set up some markers each year to guide you through. Just go slow, keep a close eye on your depth sounder and head straight for the marker posts. As long as you're in good water keep marking waypoints on your GPS, and especially mark a waypoint as you pass each marker. After you've made a pass you can edit your waypoints to what you think is the most reliable course. Some of the waypoints I had last year are bad medicine this year. The best thing you can do is follow one of the locals through while marking waypoints all along the way. What ever you do, take it easy through here - it goes dead shallow in an instant.

On the Gulf side of the bridge the channel comes close to Galveston island. It looks a bit strange as you are passing through there, but if you keep your eye on the waves you can see them breaking almost everywhere except for the middle of the channel. Again, take a look at Google Earth for an idea of what the channel (more or less) looks like in this area. Just take it slow until your get it marked. I never blast through this area.