• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation of trolling motor on 17' Four Winns Horizon Fish and Ski: DONE!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of trolling motor on 17' Four Winns Horizon Fish and Ski: DONE!

Mounting a trolling motor on my bowrider was tricky because of the slopping, curvy gunhale and the railing there upon. The only flat spot on the bow gunwale was where the running lights are. So, this was going to require relocating the lights further forward and down a step.

I cut a 6" diameter disc out of 3/4" UHMW polyethylene to raise the trolling motor base up past the rim of the bow seating area. This would also provide a low friction surface for the base to pivot on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dcd4165b24a50371d2bbf3de2f00be99.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	104884
    Mercruiser 470 s/n 0B648337
    Alpha One s/n 0B754718
    '87 Four Winns Horizon 170

Re: Installation of trolling motor on 17' Four Winns Horizon Fish and Ski: DONE!

In order to bolt the trolling motor base to the gunwale, I had to cut an access hole using my Rotozip tool. That fiberglass is hell on those spiral cut bits. I'll cover this hole with a deck cover from the iboats store.
    Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Re: Installation of trolling motor on 17' Four Winns Horizon Fish and Ski: DONE!

The old hole for the running lights was not in the right spot, so I drilled it out to 1/2" diameter, then epoxied in a 1/2" fluted hardwood dowel. After the epoxy cured, I drilled a pilot hole to keep the 1/2" hole I drilled next on course.

Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

I've got a good, stable pivot point now, but I needed a way to lock the base in place, so I bolted the UHMW disc to the deck, then drilled a 1/4" hole through the base, disc, and deck for a lynch pin I picked up at Lowes. I'm going to order a stainless steel one soon. I applied a liberal amount of white silicon to the bottom of the disc to seal out water and help hold it firmly in place.

Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Here's the bottom side of the trolling motor base. I used a 1/2" stainless steel bolt as the pivot.

Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Here's the base fully deployed, ready to take me into speckled trout or redfish heaven. The running lights will go on the gunwale below the base.

Name:	8e1e6e342f3d63f343dc100795b3c427.jpg
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	104906
            Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

With the trolling motor in the stowed position, it rests nicely off to the side, neither interfering with the railing, seating, or canvas cover.

For ease of handling the base, I used a section of PVC pipe in place of the actual trolling motor.

Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Don,
                Why are some of the images previewing as thumbnails and some are only links? I went through the same steps on each post.
                Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Here are a couple more shots of the base with the relocated running lights.

Name:	c4e2e0f24f60141432d09f124d1e4e9e.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	105383
                  Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Very nice job!! . If you have the pictures somewhere else on the web, I'd appreciate it
                    if you pm me the url. I'd like to save copies. I haven't fished in the last 30 years until
                    a week ago, but the old bug has bit hard! I'm ready to put a trolling motor on my BR
                    in the sig.

Also, what model Watersnake Assult did you get?

Thanks,
                    Gene
                    Gene
                    1988 Sea Ray 20' Seville BR, 205 hp V6
                    1958 ChrisCraft 18' Holiday, 250 hp 350 chev
                    1995 Klamath 14 Deluxe, 1982 Evinrude 15 hp

Comment

Originally posted by gozierdt View Post
                      Very nice job!! . If you have the pictures somewhere else on the web, I'd appreciate it
                      if you pm me the url. I'd like to save copies. I haven't fished in the last 30 years until
                      a week ago, but the old bug has bit hard! I'm ready to put a trolling motor on my BR
                      in the sig.

Also, what model Watersnake Assult did you get?

Thanks,
                      Gene
                      Thanks. Why don't you right-click on the picture and do save-as?

I got this Watersnake through Walmart for $299. Free ship-to-store. Best price for a salt water trolling motor I found. So far it looks like good quality for the price. It's the 55107, 12V, 54" shaft, 54 lbs thrust, tiller steer version.

http://www.watersnakeusa.com/motors/bow/assault.html
                      Alpha One s/n 0B754718

Comment

Working...
                      X