Weak Stream from a Washdown pump

Peter B

Recruit
Hi, I recently changed my freshwater holding tank on my boat. It is powered by a 3 year old Jabsco par max (gpm 4) washdown pump. After hooking everything up, I noticed the water stream is not nearly as powerful as it used to be. More than a trickle , but not like it was before. I didn't significantly alter the length of any hoses and I can't see any obvious kinks in the hoses. Does the pump need to be primed, any ideas??
Pete
Bermuda

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Weak Stream from a Washdown pump

No, the Parmax 4 does not need to be primed. It's self priming to 4-6ft if I remember correctly.

Check the voltage at the pump
Check the intake screen
Check to make sure you have a vent in the tank
Check to make sure one of the hoses isn't plugged up
Check to make sure you don't have a leak on the intake of the pump. A leak on the vacuum side of a pump many times doesn't leak water

sasto

Captain

What dingbat says........and also.....a good plumbing system should have one high spot and one low spot. To clarify myself, the plumbing should rise uphill (or level) to the pump with no loops or low spots. If not, you may have airlock in your line.

Good Luck!

Peter B

Recruit

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a closer look at these issues. Unfortunately, access to the hoses and pump is tricky.
PS Nice Grady White

No, the Parmax 4 does not need to be primed. It's self priming to 4-6ft if I remember correctly.

Check the voltage at the pump
Check the intake screen
Check to make sure you have a vent in the tank
Check to make sure one of the hoses isn't plugged up
Check to make sure you don't have a leak on the intake of the pump. A leak on the vacuum side of a pump many times doesn't leak water