Suggestions for Simple GPS iPhone / iPad Chart Plotter

jdt312008

Cadet
I am in the market for a really simple and affordable marine chart plotter that utilizes the NOAA raster chart set. I am currently considering either the Simple Charts app or the Navionics app. The Navionics app seems to have been downloaded more times and overall more popular but the Simple Charts app is highly rated and appears to do exactly what I need (core function and includes NOAA raster set), any advice on these two apps?

Thanks in advance.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suggestions for Simple GPS iPhone / iPad Chart Plotter

I use the Navionics iPhone app and it has some really good features.
Chart plotter works well too and seems reliable.
You will need to have the phone plugged into the aux power though as it drains pretty quickly but that way the display is on full time.

captainjessica

Recruit

I recently purchased the Simple Charts app a couple weeks ago and used it on a trip down the ICW. The app worked very well, the charts look good and the location and instrument readings seemed pretty accurate. The app is very easy to use. Like marcoalza mentioned like other GPS apps you really should keep it plugged in but I was able to get several hours out of my device before needing to recharge. I would say try out the Simple Charts app since the price is right.

jdt312008

Cadet

I wanted to follow-up in regards to my recent chart plotter app purchase. I decided to go with the Simple Charts app initially because of the price ($9.99) and the raster charts rather than the electronic over a couple of the other plotter options available. I have been very happy with the purchase as the app does exactly what it say it does, the charts load fast and are crisp and easy to read.

For those looking for a great iPhone/iPad charting app I would definitely recommend looking at this app first.

Thanks again for all the help.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Please post pics of the Simple Charts. Here is a sample of the Navionics. I would like to see a comparison.

attachment.php

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have the Navionics app, but i don't see why, over a short period of time, a person wouldn't get both? For only $10, you get the redundancy that you might actually need one day. I think I'm going to pull the Charts maps, just because I can have both then. Or, I'll wait for a sale. Go online to AppSniper and pick what you want, and they'll email you when it goes on sale. I got the Navionics app for $9.99 that way.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I have been looking at a small chart plotter for my boat. The Simple Chart app looks very good. I don't have an iPhone, but I might consider getting an iPod Touch. This would be cheaper than getting a chart plotter.

I do have a question. Will the iPod Touch GPS function stand alone (not connected to any Wi-Fi or cell service) or does it need to be connected to something?

Thanks.

scooper77515

I have navionics on my old droid v.1. It is deactivated, no phone, no internet, etc. But the GPS continues to work and so does the navionics. I keep it on the boat so if I drop it overboard, no big loss.

So, you only need a GPS signal for it to work, but need internet to download the app.

Also, since I paid and installed in on the droid, I have purchased a new phone (Thunderbolt) and it transferred the Navionics over for free, so I now have it on two phones.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

From what I read, the iPod Touch does not have a GPS chip in it. It can figure out your location from the Wi-Fi hotspot. but doesn't seem to be able to do it on it's own. You can buy a unit that attaches to the iPod Touch to provide true GPS capability, but these seem to cost $100-200 in addition to the cost of the iPod.

The iPhone 3 and 4 have some GPS capability, but this is supplemented by triangulation with the cell towers and Wi-Fi information. There doesn't seem to be any information on how accurate the GPS position would be without cellular service (WAAS?).

I suppose if you boat close to a built up area you would have sufficient coverage for a good position. But if you are more than a couple miles off shore or in a wilderness area it might not be the best solution.

jdt312008

Cadet

The Simple Charts app worked great today. Chart plotter function was right on and accurate. We are currently using an iPhone 4 and the GPS seems very accurate on this model. We also were able to install the app on our iPad without having to pay anything additional so it is if we got two chart plotters for the price of one.

SimpleCharts1.PNG

SimpleCharts2.PNG

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Thats a decent looking chart for a phone. How close was your true position on the water as compared to the map? Was there much lag time?

scooper77515

The navionics is dead on with true position.

That Simple Chart looks a lot less...simple, compared to the navionics maps. WAY more info on the simple charts.

jdt312008

Cadet

The positioning is dead on with Simple Charts. I saw very little lag time the last time we used it (this past weekend) between positions with our iPhone 4. The accuracy seems to be spot on and in agreement with our Garmin (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=397581&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10103&subdeptNum=10268&classNum=10269). The app is a great tool to have as I can be away from the helm and still get a read on position, speed, etc while the wife is navigating.

The app is very easy to use, I imagine what you are describing as "not simple" is the detail of the charts themselves, in my opinion the more detail in the charts the better. What I refer to as simple is how easy it is to use.

scooper77515

Yes, I meant less simple, as in WAY more detail!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

From what I read, the iPod Touch does not have a GPS chip in it. It can figure out your location from the Wi-Fi hotspot. but doesn't seem to be able to do it on it's own. You can buy a unit that attaches to the iPod Touch to provide true GPS capability, but these seem to cost $100-200 in addition to the cost of the iPod.

The iPhone 3 and 4 have some GPS capability, but this is supplemented by triangulation with the cell towers and Wi-Fi information. There doesn't seem to be any information on how accurate the GPS position would be without cellular service (WAAS?).

I suppose if you boat close to a built up area you would have sufficient coverage for a good position. But if you are more than a couple miles off shore or in a wilderness area it might not be the best solution.

The Ipod Touch does not have a built it GPS. As stated there are external GPS devices that can be used with it.

Saying the iphone has "some GPS capability" is very misleading. Yes they use the cell towers to assist in locating you in cases where the GPS signal is weak, or non-existant, like inside of a shopping mall, but they do have a built in 12-channel GPS receiver. If there is a good GPS signal, the location defaults to the GPS and not the cell tower information. Bottom line - YOU DO NOT NEED CELL SERVICE TO USE THE GPS. They are just as accurate and have as much capability as any other 12-channel GPS receiver out there. It is only dependent on the software as far as determining just how useful they are for a given use.