Limbs keep breaking all-round navigation light

Kelzamedic

Recruit
I'm regularly replacing the factory Perko Fold Down Combination Masthead/White All-Round Light ( http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/product/769/ ) after trailering our 22CC Proline Sport with a fiberglass t-top. The light gets folded down at the ramp prior to trailering, and we've tried folding it both to bow and aft without much success. While we avoid large tree limbs while trailering, even small limbs are enough to take out the lense and polymer top housing of this light.

I've considered using a surface mount light to provide a lower profile using a ruggedized product, like the Hella Marine Surface Mount All Round Lamp :http://www.hellamarine.com/?a=3&t=3&View=FullStory&productID=777&pcid=184 ,but since the t-top is home to a Go-Light, Lowrance GPS receiver, and a VHF antenna, I was concerned with there being numerous blind spots with a flush mount being behind the other components.

Looking for recommendations or solutions!

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Limbs keep breaking all-round navigation light

so, you have it folded down for storage and stuff still strikes it and damages it?

maybe some sort of padded cover? like a cover for a golf club?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

j_martin

Admiral

The old timer beat me to it. My boat goe's through he!! getting to some landings. Anchor light's in the rod locker till I need it. Bow light is short and defended pretty well by the trolling motor.

Kelzamedic

Recruit

The protective cover may be an option...

The light in question is on top of a t-top, even flush mounted, would be 6-8 foot above the bow light. Currently mounted in the center of the t-top, there's no depth available for a removable base-the underside of the base and the wires would be exposed over my head...not to mention that I'd need a ladder to plug it in or remove it.

What are your feelings about the flush mount?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have the Attwood 7812S1 Anchor/Masthead Light on my hardtop. The Attwood is built pretty well. I've had leaves and branches hung up on it before, but never any breakage. I have 2 VHF antennas and a GPS module mounted on the top as well. Maybe that gives it some protection as well

As for flush mount, I would not do it. Visibility would be an issue. Visibilty below the plane of the top would be limited or locked completley.