Starter on my Volvo-Penta AQ110 (1966 or 67) will not shut off.

Rockybeach

Recruit
I can get the starter cranking but when I turn the key off it does not stop cranking. I have to hit the kill switch.

I just replaced the starter as it was not working at all before. AND have replaced the ignition switch. All wiring was returned to its original positions.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Also if anyone has access to a Volvo-Pental Repair/Workshop manual for my AQ110.. please let me know.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Starter on my Volvo-Penta AQ110 (1966 or 67) will not shut off.

the S terminal and the B terminal are very close together on those Volvo B18 starters. I suspect one terminal is accidentally touching the other.
If not, try removing the S terminal wire- if that doesn't stop it, the starter is the problem.
If that does stop it, then you have to trace back towards the key and see what is stuck feeding power.. a relay or the key switch, or a crossed wire in beween
I don't have a manual, but I did just order one for the car engines B18, B20 etc, on DVD on eBay for a good price - item 330558737950... nothing on the web for the motor I could find - lots on the outdrive
most of the owner's manuals and spec brochures are avail free from the Volvo Penta global site - free pdf files and they usually show some wiring

suncruiser24

Cadet

This could easily be a starter solenoid issue. When in "start" position, circuit through solenoid should be closed. When in "run" position, circuit through solenoid should be "open".

Rockybeach

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I replaced the starter and ignition switch. I ordered a manual and will be attacking the wiring when I get it. I will let you know what comes of that.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't believe its electrical. If that were the case if would try to start all the time when the key was turned on. Its probably mechanical. The starter is not releasing.

Rockybeach

Recruit

I had the starter tested right in front of me. It is working fine. Thanks for the feedback. I will have another look at it next week.