Faria tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickvi

Recruit
Hi guys

Losing my mind here. I had a tachometer in my boat that never worked. It had three wires going into it. Purple which was live with ignition, grey which showed 2 or so volts when the engine was running and black which was a ground. I got a brand new faria 7000 rpm tachometer which required seemingly the same three wires, bat, ground and signal. So I wired up the new faria tachometer accordingly and fired up the engine. Sure enough the tach showed 900 rpms. I revved the engine and the tach responded accordingly. I was super excited and left the engine running and went to get my wife to show her. By the time we got there literally 25 seconds later the tach was reading 0. When I turn the ignition off and on the gauge still twitches but it refuses to show rpms when the engine is running. I went back and checked all the wires with the volt meter and they all still work properly. :mad: what is going on? Why is my boat blowing tachs. This is so frustrating. What makes these tachometers blow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Faria tachometer

Thanks man! According to the trouble shooting my tach is "dead". Still didn't really say why other than electrical transients. Is there soothing in my boat that could be causing them?

That's a tough question. My Faria tach died last year. I replaced it and never had another problem. I would look at the usual suspects. Bad ground or bad power. Make sure you have a really good ground connection. Measure the voltage at the tach connection and make sure it is good. If it is lower than expected start looking for a bad connection. The other extreme is to make sure it is not to high. If your voltage regulator is bad allowing a higher than expected voltage that clould be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.