Complete Wiring from scratch

56lyman

Recruit
New to the forum - what a resource! I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

Bought a 1957 15' Lyman with a 1956 30hp evinrude outboard.

Restored the Lyman and now need to get it wired up. Have wiring components such as light pull switch, push start button, etc. But I need a diagram showing how to put everything together. Would like to do myself as I have the rest of the boat but my knowledge in this area is limited. Purchased 56-72 evinrude/Johnson manual as well as the 12-volt bible. Both good resources but not what I'm looking for.

Specifically I need to see a wiring diagram from the battery to the push button, solenoid, starter, motor and aux. Components such as lights, bilge pump, etc. I will try to send pics of what I have - previous owner just cut out most everything and had some misc. Parts in a box...

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Complete Wiring from scratch

Welcome to iboats.

Remember to spend the extra $$ and get the marine tinned wire, marine switches etc.

There are generic wiring diagrams on the top of this section and you have the perfect books.

It just takes tame and patience ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What you are asking for doesn't likely exist. Wiring for the engine circuits is in the engine service manual. Boat wiring is as generic as icecream and there is a "Generic Boat Wiring Diagram" in the stickies at the very top of this forum. You mention a push to start button! Do you also have a push to stop button? You would also need a push to choke button. Why not install an outboard ignition switch that has Off-RUN-START-PUSH TO CHOKE function.

56lyman

Recruit

That's a good idea - I was just looking at those through west marine. The original solenoid does not have a neutral safety switch. I was also thinking about replacing it with one that has a nss - any thoughts?