Is there such thing as a VHF/FM combo antenna?

tritanusa

Cadet
I would like only one antenna on my boat to work with the ship to shore radio and the AM/FM antenna. I was hoping for a combo about 5ft tall. If I can't find one I will go VHF and use a mini whip or a hidden fm antenna.

Thanks!!

jhebert

Ensign
Re: Is there such thing as a VHF/FM combo antenna?

The VHF Marine Band is in the 156-MHz range. The AM Broadcast Band is in the range of 1-MHz. The FM Broadcast band is in the range of 100-MHz. These are three very widely separated frequency bands. It is unlikely that there is a single antenna which will work well for all three. In any case, connecting three receivers and one transmitter to a single antenna will require some sort of antenna diplexer.

In small boat applications we often see a standard VHF Marine Band antenna used in conjunction with a diplexer which permits connection of an AM Broadcast Band receiver, an FM Broadcast Band receiver, and a VHF Marine Band transceiver. The antenna is optimized for the VHF Marine Band. A VHF Marine Band radio on a boat is an important safety equipment device, and I do not recommend compromising its performance by connecting it to an antenna through a diplexer just to permit use of the antenna with AM Broadcast or FM broadcast receivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplexer

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

The parts guy at my local Marina gave me a firm NO when I wanted the same set up that you want... So I now have an 8' VHF antenna along with a separate AM/FM.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Not an antenna, but a splitter:
FMsplitter.jpg

Description:
Eliminate the need for separate AM/FM antennas and operate AM/FM and VHF radios at the same time without interfering with VHF radio performance. Complete with 10' RG-62 AM/FM cable, 3' RG-58 VHF cable, and connector installed. Works with all types of marine VHF antennas.

Google "Shakespeare Am-Fm Marine VHF Splitter". Model #4357-S

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

ditto on the splitter. can also use one for TV if needed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The name of the game is bandwidth of the antenna. From an AM point of view, (to me), any old wire stuck up in the air will pull in that band. FM at 88-108 and VHF right above it are close enough that the BW of the antenna may be wide enough for your power to be fairly flat. Whip antennas are very broad banded and omni-directional.

If your incoming signal strength is well above the S/N of your receiver, the antenna loss at that frequency could be well below optimum and you would still get adequate reception.

As said, get the antenna that is cut for the freq that is most important to you and the rest will have to ride it out........buttttt it's not necessarily as bad as one might expect.

Good Luck,

Mark

tritanusa

Cadet

I actually might be on track on a invention, if not that Shakesphere device looks promising.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Well, good luck.
Let us know when our royalty checks are ready :)

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went to radio shack and bought a Am/fm Connector... The part that goes into the back of the radio itself... Then solderd a 14 gauge wire about 10 feet long to the connecter.. Plugged it in and then positioned the wire in a manor where i get basically all the fm channels perfectly clear... IT works great and its completely hidden.. Just dont run the wire near any wires that carry voltage... it was distort the signal