Replacing ignition switch

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I only have one key for my almost 40 year old boat and I have tried getting a copy made without any luck (no luck on finding a suitable blank at local locksmiths) so I am thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to replace the entire ignition switch. This is for a Volvo AQ130C engine.

Has anyone done this on one of the older circa 70's boats with Volvo engines? Anything special I need to know? I'm thinking I just need to remove the old one and take it to an auto parts store and see if they have a suitable replacement.

Thanks.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Replacing ignition switch

By a universal marine ignition switch an any boating store. Anywhere from $10-$20. The difference between the auto and the marine version is the 'push-to-choke' feature and the better metal quality to avoid corrosion inside the switch itself.

ign.jpg

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class

be sure to draw a diagram of what wires go to where before

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. My engine does not have a choke so I don't need that, but I guess it can't hurt either...just don't attach anything to that terminal.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are more differences than the push to choke feature between an auto switch and an outboard switch. Outboard switches must SHORT the two "M" terminals which grounds the ignition to kill the engine. Auto (I/O) switches connect the "B" (battery) terminal to the "I" (ignitiion) terminal to power the ignition switch. When turned off that connection OPENS to kill the engine. The Volvo in this boat is an I/O so make sure you buy the correct switch.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

There are more differences than the push to choke feature between an auto switch and an outboard switch. Outboard switches must SHORT the two "M" terminals which grounds the ignition to kill the engine. Auto (I/O) switches connect the "B" (battery) terminal to the "I" (ignitiion) terminal to power the ignition switch. When turned off that connection OPENS to kill the engine. The Volvo in this boat is an I/O so make sure you buy the correct switch.

Thanks for making that distinction, Silvertip. And to confirm, yes this engine is an I/O.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I was finally able to find a locksmith who had a key blank that he thought might work and so he fabricated a duplicate using it, so I'm hoping it will work in the existing switch instead of having to install a new switch.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I hope it works, but getting that key made probably saved you at 20-30 minutes of labor!! :rolleyes:

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I hope it works, but getting that key made probably saved you at 20-30 minutes of labor!! :rolleyes:

Yea, I know, but the thought of getting under the dash in 90 degree weather does not enthuse me much either.