Antenna question VHF or CB

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks, New to this site, been looking around and there is lots of good info for sure. Just bought a 1984 Sea Ray 260, it has two antenna mounts and one antenna. I have a VHF and CB in the boat so i need to buy one more antenna but not sure what the antenna is that i already have, It's a 8' fiberglass whip that says "Shakespeare Wondershaft" at the base, how can i tell if it's a CB or VHF antenna?
Thanks

Scorpion8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Antenna question VHF or CB

.... how can i tell if it's a CB or VHF antenna?

Trace the cable back as far as you can, and examine your radio and CB. They may have a combiner that allows two radios to use one antenna. Or one may not have an antenna plugged in the back, and that would make guessing easy!

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

An 8' is almost certainly VHF.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

As scorpion indicated, there are multi connectors out there which allow multiple heads (VHF, CB, AM/FM) to operate off of one antenna. My question would be "Why a CB radio?" Who are you going to talk to? You are the only one with one. If the boat is a 1984, that was long before the days of cell phones. Ditch the CB and stick with the VHF. It has weather channels, emergency channels, and talk around channels.

Scorpion8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My question would be "Why a CB radio?" Who are you going to talk to?

Might be different down in the flatlands Outside, but up here lots of boats have CBs because the islands block a lot of cell transmission and coverage is spotty. AM propagates a lot better, hence more CB's. I got me one!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

OK..I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Holy Crap! You're in Alaska!! You can talk on the CB all you want for the 6 hours a year you guys actually get to use your boats!! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ahhhh
Alaska revenge is a dish best served cold...

lol

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice

Trace the cable back as far as you can, and examine your radio and CB. They may have a combiner that allows two radios to use one antenna. Or one may not have an antenna plugged in the back, and that would make guessing easy!

There are two separate cables, one each side of boat ending under panel, not hooked to anything, i am installing radios myself. Looks like NYBo answered my question. A lot of folks use CB's on the Oregon coast to communicate