Minn Kota 24 Volt Install on Hurricane Deck Boat.

seanrk

Recruit
My first post here, been lurking for sometime very helpful group of folks on this forum.

I have recently purchased a Minn Kota V2 70 24 volt trolling motor. Also i have just recently purchased the boat. This will be a bow mounted motor and the wiring harness and 4 prong male connector were pre-installed by the manufacturer at the time the boat was purchased originally. I purchased 2 dedicated 12 volt deep cycle batteries for this install and now am ready to connect it all up.

I have 4 leads in the existing wiring harness (red, blk, red stripe, blk stripe). Per the instructions all leads are connected to the batteries, both positives have breakers installed. My problem is the instructions from the manufacture says and i quote " DO NOT WIRE TO BATTERY IN SERIES" but the Minn Kota manual says to wire the batteries in a series.

Also, from the manufacturer i received 2 female 4 prong connectors, one with 2 wires (red & black), the second with 3 wires (red, blk, orange). The manufacturer instructions say to use the 3 wire for 24 volt installs, my confusion is that the trolling motor leads consist of only 2 wires. At this point i am scratching my head, i am not particularly savvy with electricity and I do not want to harm any of my components by miss-configuring anything.

Any assistance/direction with this would be much appreciated....

seanrk

Recruit
Re: Minn Kota 24 Volt Install on Hurricane Deck Boat.

Here are the manufacturer instructions with the female adapters.

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your boat is wired for a motor that can be run on 12 OR 24 volts. Your new motor runs on 24 volts ONLY. The instructions in the boat manual tell you NOT to wire the batteries in series because they assume that a 12/24 motor will be used. Look at the bow of the boat for a 12/24/RUN/CHARGE switch (or something similar) near the troller receptacle. If you DON"T have one, that's good. Use the following procedure -- AND PAY ATTENTION!

1) You WILL NOT use the red/stripe & black stripe pair so tape the battery end and tuck them away.
2) Check the red/stripe and black/strip at the bow and disconnect them.
3) Back at the batteries. you will wire them like the diagram below so you need to make a short jumper using the same size or larger wire than the red & black.

24VTrollerWiring.jpg

4) Back at the bow, check the RED and BLACK wires from the battery. Note where they connect on the receptacle.
5) You can use either the two or three wire plug for the troller. You just need to match the two wires on the troller to the same terminals on the receptacle. If you use the three wire plug you simply don't use the third one.

IF - Note I said IF there is a 12/24/RUN/CHARGE switch you are advised to use the same technique as above, but simply bypass the switch and go directly to the receptacle.

seanrk

Recruit

Thanks Silvertip!! I've got my marching orders. I will report back went completed. Just curious about the step of removing the unused wires from the bow, is this just for completeness or is there truly a technical reason for it?

Thanks Again

Sean

NYBo

Admiral

I thinks it's just to prevent any confusion, resulting in the wrong wires being used.

Stubby01

Recruit

I thinks it's just to prevent any confusion, resulting in the wrong wires being used.

I am getting a the stern mounted 80 lb thrust Minn Kota for my 2001 Bayliner 175 Capria. Will or could the boat engine help charge the 2 batteries while the engine is in use or do the 2 batteries need to charge on land prior to use. I tend to melt wires so that is why I am cautious when it comes to wiring, batteries, and fizzy hair.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You just jumped (hijacked) someone elses thread. Start your own. But the answer to your qwestion is no.