1980 procraft bass boat tach wiring

cardedo

Cadet
I have a 1980 procraft bass boat that I bought and the tach is not working. I found that a mouse has chewed the purple wire coming from the shifter control. there are two wires the purple wire and a white with black stripes wire coming out of the connector. I am not sure where to run the new purple wire to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cardedo

Cadet
Re: 1980 procraft bass boat tach wiring

Or where can I find a wiring diagram for this year boat? Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Connect it to the purple wire going to the ignition switch. This will allow the tach to work only when the key is on.

cardedo

Cadet

That wire is connected. I'm not sure to connect it to after that. If it goes to the tach which post? Could not find the other end of the chewed up wire. The person who owned the boat before seems to messed with wiring.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Purple is +12 volts when the key is ON. It goes to the + (POS) terminal on the tach. The terminal marked (-) goes to ground, the one marked (L) is the internal light (fed from the NAV/ANC switch) and the (S) terminal is the tach sense signal from the engine (typically gray).

cardedo

Cadet

Thanks for the great advise. Ran new wire and now have power to tach but tried yesterday tach still not working. Tach may be bad but will check calibration first.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The tach needs +12 volts (you fixed that). But it also needs ground and the "send" signal (gray wire) from the engine. If the tach has an internal light, that also needs +12 volts.

cardedo

Cadet

Thanks. This boat boat has a white with black stripes wire that comes out of the connector with the purple that connected to the S terminal and purlpe to I. Pink with black sripes to L for the lightand gray is gound. I'm guessing the white wire is the sense signal will it have power on it like purple with the switch on? It does not at this time

NYBo

Admiral

The white wire would not be the tach signal unless a previous owner replaced the original wiring. Why do you think the gray is ground?

The tach signal wire sends pulses of electricity as the motor turns, so it will not have 12V+ like the purple wire.