Color Fish finder screen black and green problem? Eagle seacharter 500c DF

Yiannis1959

Recruit
Hi all! I'm new to iboats! Great site!
For the 1st time I took out my boat and tested the fish finder Eagle Seacharter 500c and the sonar screen was black with light green horizontal lines on top and middle section, around 1/4" wide, showing me I guess the surface of the water line and the bottom? I'm not sure.
The screen was definatelly not what I've seen in the pics, and I had downloaded the simulator for the seacharter 480c to familiarize myself, I looked at all buttons, couldn't change the "look". If anyone has any experience with this gps / fishfinder please let me know.
I had bought it used from ebay more than a year ago and this is the 1st time I tested it.
Thanks!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Color Fish finder screen black and green problem? Eagle seacharter 500c DF

It's broken.

Yiannis1959

Recruit

Thanks!. Any more info? The gps/fishfinder consts of many parts. Would it most likely be the transducer or the gps? Could it be the "settings"? Light? Contrast? (I just read it in the downloaded manual) and I'll try it when I put it in the water again........Also,
Could I put a bucket of water below the transducer, and contact the transducer with water and get any readings / testing while the boat is out of the water?

I would appreciate any inputs.

As I said, my screen was black, and there was a light green horizontal jackedy line around 1/4" WIDE ON TOP, AND ONE SIMILAR IN THE MIDDLE.

Thanks for your time!
It's broken.

j_martin

Admiral

Out of water test is to aim the transducer at a mirror. An inch or 2 of air is about the same as a foot of water, so if the mirror is a foot away, you should get a reading around 10 or 12 feet.

What you describe sounds like a broken LCD display.

Yiannis1959

Recruit

Just the info I was looking for :). Will post results after I troubleshoot here at home with the mirror. At least on the outside, the LCD screen seems very clean. The transducer is also very smooth and clean, however I don't know if they go bad often. Will post my results in a couple of days. Thank you!! :)