More chartplotter problems

Georooney

Seaman
I bought an Eagle FishElite 642C iGPS chartplotter last year, put it in the boat and it worked fine. This year I turned it on and the display screen is very dim and flashes repeatedly. It seems to track otherwise (although so dim that it's impossible to read unless you get right up to it).

I've checked the power cables, cleaned the connections (power and ground), even did a reset of the unit. (Note to self: save the data next time, Dummy! :) ) Nothing.

I guess I've got myself a paper weight for holding down the charts I'm going to have to use from now on (can't afford another chartplotter). :)

Any suggestions? Thanks...........

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: More chartplotter problems

Did you try adjusting the screen brightness?

What voltage do you have on the connector?

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try connecting it directly to the battery (12.8 volts).

Georooney

Seaman

Try connecting it directly to the battery (12.8 volts).

That's going to be my next step. Also, I'd like to find some small alligator clips so I can apply power directly to the pins at the back of the chartplotter and bypass the power cable altogether.

j_martin

Admiral

I'd bet on moisture intrusion. Shouldn't happen. If it's still under warranty they will fix/replace it. If not, open it up, dry it out thoroughly, and bake any silicon gel packets you find inside it, or replace them with known dry ones.

It might come back, or it might not. Worth a try, though.

hope it helps
John

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

There are brightness and contrast settings. I thought I had lost my unit then I found out the kids were screwing with me. Tapped the power button while it was on and reset the contrast.

Georooney

Seaman

I tried all the brightness and contrast settings; nada. Also, the continuous flashing makes the screen unreadable even if I was able to increase the brightness.

Eagle gave me an RMA number and instructed me to ship it to them. It sounds like they make go good on the warranty, even though it is about a month past the date. If they do, I'll be their new best friend! :)