Windshield wiper?!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Hey all,

My wiper has 3 wires... a black and white (i'm assuming + and -) and a blue that I'm guessing to be a timer... how do I wire these?

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Windshield wiper?!

i would give post what kinda wiper you have to get better results. Do you have a switch that controls the wiper? Also depending on the switch im assuming blue is for the variable speed options from the switch. Just a guess here though.

NYBo

Admiral

I would guess they are negative, positive, and park (continuously powered positive, to return the wipe to the parked position). The blue is probably the "park" wire.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

It's just a wiuper and motor that I plan to hook up to a switch.. How would I wire it? Have the + get interrupted by the switch and the "park" wired directly to the positive?

NYBo

Admiral

It's just a wiuper and motor that I plan to hook up to a switch.. How would I wire it? Have the + get interrupted by the switch and the "park" wired directly to the positive?
That would be the way to do it, but only if I am correct about the function of each wire.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

still would help knowing what kind of switch your wiring to.:confused:

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Just a regular on/off toggle switch.. that OK?

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

It just has 2 inputs then correct? If so your only going to use the white and black wire. the 3rd wire wouldnt be hooked up at all anyways. If you just want it to turn on and off on a toggle thats the way i would hook it up. cant hook up the 2 wires to the + input on the switch.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I meant hook the + white wire to a switch and have the blue wire wired straight to the battery terminal? Or should I use a switch with two inputs? That can't hurt...

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

ahh nope i think i got a better picture now,if your talking about the wires coming from the wiper motor i think your way will work just fine.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Great! Well find out soon enough the hard way!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is no need to run the blue wire back to the battery. Just connect it to load side of the switch along with one of the other wires.

If you run it back to the battery, you will need to fuse back as the battery.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

very true... should I put a fuse in after the switch (closer to the battery) or in each wire before that?

Any idea what amprage fuse to use?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

very true... should I put a fuse in after the switch (closer to the battery) or in each wire before that?

Any idea what amprage fuse to use?
The line running to the switch should come from a fused connection on a distribution panel.

Your mileage may vary, but mine are fused at 5 amp

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

So it should go Wiper motor - fuse - switch - battery for the + wire AND the mystery blue wire? or does the mystery wire need no fuse?

NYBo

Admiral

Battery positive -> fuse ->blue wire/switch -> white(?) wire (whichever you determine is the + feed to the wiper motor)

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Well that's annoying, my post didn't show up.
So I was going to have all my accessory + wires converge to a thicker gauge wire underneath my dashboard that run that one wire to the + terminal -- so all accessories should be fused individually BEFORE they converge into one wire? or should I put one giant fuse in that wire?

NYBo

Admiral

A 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker near the battery for the main accessory lead, which ideally feeds a fuse block for the individual devices.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

So each device is basically fused twice?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You fuse the line, not the device. You need an appropriately sized fuse at each power source to protect the wire between the fuse and the device.

Typically, you have one heavy wire running up to the helm to a distribution panel that is fused via a circuit breaker back by the battery. The power to the various devices is then distributed to the various devices from the distribution panel. Each connection coming off the distribution panel is then fused to suit the device in use.