Stereo install question - Clarion CZ300

smp258

Recruit
Boat Stereo Install CZ300
I am installing a Clarion CZ300 into a boat that previously had no battery. On the 16-pin wiring harness I thought I could connect the following 3 wires to one positive lead to the battery.

Yellow wire (memory back-up lead) - book says "connect directly to battery"

Red Wire (power lead) - books says "accessory + 12v"

Orange/White wire (illumination lead) - book says "connect it to the car power supply terminal for illumination"

So.. Can I wire the above wires together to one power supply wire connect to a switch then to the battery? I know that the memory will not work once I flip the switch but I would like to flip the switch when the boat is being stored long periods.

And the last question. I tried the above wiring setup and instantly blew the fuse when plugging in the head unit. The fuse is a 15A online fuse on the memory wire, which is interestingly the largest gauge wire connected to the 16 pin.

Thank you for making it this far if you did.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stereo install question - Clarion CZ300

Did you rember to ground it? The red wire can be run directly to the fuse box unless you only want it to come on when the key is turned on, if so it has to be wired to the 12v power from the key switch. The yellow wire can be run to the fuse box but is pointless if you use a batt cutt-off switch. You can run it all the way back to the batt if you want to. The orange/white wire is a little trickier. Does your manual say how many volts this wire is supposed to be connected to? If it's 12v it can also be wired to the fuse box. I ask about the ground (black wire) as you didn't mention it. Wire up the ground to the neg side of the fuse box or ground buss, whichever you have, before wiring the others. Preferably do it with the batt disconected untill all wiring is done. Unless you have some weird system, this should work. Wiring a radio in a boat isn't all that differant than doing it in a car since both are a 12v system.

red

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat Stereo Install CZ300
I am installing a Clarion CZ300 into a boat that previously had no battery. On the 16-pin wiring harness I thought I could connect the following 3 wires to one positive lead to the battery.

Yellow wire (memory back-up lead) - book says "connect directly to battery"

Red Wire (power lead) - books says "accessory + 12v"

Orange/White wire (illumination lead) - book says "connect it to the car power supply terminal for illumination"

So.. Can I wire the above wires together to one power supply wire connect to a switch then to the battery? I know that the memory will not work once I flip the switch but I would like to flip the switch when the boat is being stored long periods.

And the last question. I tried the above wiring setup and instantly blew the fuse when plugging in the head unit. The fuse is a 15A online fuse on the memory wire, which is interestingly the largest gauge wire connected to the 16 pin.

Thank you for making it this far if you did.

All three wires can be connected as you thought with no issues. The orange white wire will only backlight the buttons. If your battery was low when you connected the radio this would cause the fuse to blow. Make sure you are charged up and replace the fuse!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A 15 amp fuse on the memory wire is about useless as the wire will burn up long before the fuse blows. You can certainly connect all three wires together and feed them from the battery via a switch. However, if you are blowing a 15 amp fuse you have some wiring very wrong. Here is the wiring. Battery positive to one side of the switch. Other side of the switch to the three wires. Battery negative gets the ground connection.

smp258

Recruit

Thanks for the replies.

Over lunch I'm going try to wire it up again. I did have the radio grounded.

I'm going to pick up fuses and give it another shot. When I tried to wire it last time i didn't unhook the battery, but I didn't think it would matter as i was wiring it through a switch and had the switch turned off. I will disconnect the battery and redo it and see what happens.