• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternator wiring help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator wiring help needed

Hello,

I have questions about wiring a new internal alternator from an external regulated one. I bought a Prestolite #8MR2050Fa sales #170-532 and regulator #8RG2069. I have attached the old original boat wiring schematic from the previous setup and the back of the new alt. Seems like it should be easy but I over think things sometimes and am an electrical noob.

The questions I have going clockwise from top of the new alternator drawing are...

1. Yellow wire "excitation lead" I don't know where it should go.

2. AC tap is for auxiliary components that I will not need now?

3. B- post does it need to get wired to the battery or is it grounded through the engine block chassis?

4. B+ It should get wired to the + post of the battery (right)? Is there a recommended wire size, it would be about 2-3 feet from battery?

5. D+ or REG it should get wired to my orange wire to the indicator light. (right)?

Also can I just remove the old regulator then?

Thanks so much,

Bill
    Attached Files

Working...
X