Ignition Switch Wiring - 3 position with push to choke

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace a faulty ignition switch on my 86 Bayliner Capri. 3 position switch with push to choke. Off, On, Turn to start and push to choke. I purchased a new Seasense switch and it is labeled on the bottom as follows.

1. Battery + (red wire)
2. Ground (black wire)
3. Solenoid (yellow wire, I assume they mean starter solenoid)
4. Choke (green wire)
5 and 6 are my problems - although feel free to correct anything up above.
My 125 Force 1258x5a has two other wires going to the current ignition switch. One is labeled on the engine as Magneto and is white and the other is also labeled as Magneto but is blue.

My new switch has two other unaccounted for terminals. One is labeled Magneto circuit and the other is labeled ignition circuit. What do I do? I have not disconnected anything yet. All existing wires look to be in perfect (long enough to work with and not all dried out and crispy) condition. I will be disconnecting the battery before attempting the switch changeover.

Thanks in advance!

FAQdaWorld

Cadet
Re: Ignition Switch Wiring - 3 position with push to choke

I assume you've figured this out by now, but in case you or anyone else needs help with a similar situation.

Blue and white are both part of the 'magneto' circuit.

Blue if you follow it all the way to the engine actually goes to engine ground (At the engine terminal connection). White goes back to the same terminal as the blue magneto, but from there connects to the Kill wires at the CD packs (also white if memory serves).

How this circuit works is fairly simple: When the ignition switch is in the OFF position, The circuit between both the magneto wires is CLOSED (Meaning that the kill wires at the coil packs are grounded). This keeps the coils from firing.

When the ignition switch is in the ON position, the circuit between the magneto wires is OPEN. This means that the Kill wires ARE NOT GROUNDED; thus allowing the coils to fire.

Hope that helps; If anything needs to be corrected please do so!

-Ryan / FAQ