PLEASE HELP 1978 Evinrude 115 w/ wiring problems...guages, tilt & solenoid

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: PLEASE HELP 1978 Evinrude 115 w/ wiring problems...guages, tilt & solenoid

and yeah....i need a cover. what do you want for it?

levi_tsk

Ensign

i dont know 20 bux shipped? ill send you all the plastic pieces on the airbox also AND i have a full thermostat kit pn#18-3673 if you want it ill let that go for 20? (its a 40 dollar part and i accidently bought an extra, its still in the package) ill dig around like i said ive got all kinds of spare parts for one of these older crossflows....what i have ill let go cheap ... if you find you need something let me know and ill see if i have it
monday i have to make a run to my dads for to help my neighbor install an outboard so ill grab the parts then (still trying to get all my stuff in one palce)
id also get two full carb kits if it hasnt been ran in a while and a fuel pump kit(dont have any of those as spares) id get 2 BRP kits pn#439076 for the carbs, do not get a sierra kit on these ... they suck and the gaskets are garbage and pn#393103 for a fuel pump rebuild kit once again no sierra and brp includes instructions (youll need em :D)
also a water pump kit pn# for those is 18-3390

levi_tsk

Ensign

I think so.....on the tilt/trim diagram you sent.....the junction strip on very top of page just above the solenoid.......i think mine is missing. Is that strip on top they same as a solenoid? Im thinking the last owner just used a solenoid in place of the strip for whatever reason....? It seems to make sense because 1 of the black wires (lamp cord) coming from the sending unit to the "strip" (what is that called anyway?) gets tied into the white and tan wire that leads to the back of trim gauge just as shown in the control lever and switch diagram. So I need to....?hhhmmmmm?

its called a terminal strip i think i have one of those also you can HAVE that, got a couple of old coils and an old good powerpack too if you want em also free ...(i always keep two coils and a power pack on the boat, sometimes it saves the day :D)

levi_tsk

Ensign

i dont know 20 bux shipped? ill send you all the plastic pieces on the airbox also AND i have a full thermostat kit pn#18-3673 if you want it ill let that go for 20? (its a 40 dollar part and i accidently bought an extra, its still in the package) ill dig around like i said ive got all kinds of spare parts for one of these older crossflows....what i have ill let go cheap ... if you find you need something let me know and ill see if i have it
monday i have to make a run to my dads for to help my neighbor install an outboard so ill grab the parts then (still trying to get all my stuff in one palce)
id also get two full carb kits if it hasnt been ran in a while and a fuel pump kit(dont have any of those as spares) id get 2 BRP kits pn#439076 for the carbs, do not get a sierra kit on these ... they suck and the gaskets are garbage and pn#393103 for a fuel pump rebuild kit once again no sierra and brp includes instructions (youll need em :D)
also a water pump kit pn# for those is 18-3390

once you do that stuff you should be ready to rock and roll

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok....i put the hammer down today and studied hard! I learned alot and everything makes more sense now. Those diagrams were a major factor...thanks! I followed every wire today to see what goes where, what is missing, damaged and so on. I didnt do any physical work yet....just looked, studied diagrams, and read up and learned alot about the terminal block, solenoid, ignition and gauges. So before I start the physical process I have a couple questions.
1) Why is the trim motor wiring nearly 6 feet long? It mounts to the terminal strip which is less than 2 feet away. Does that sound right? Wonder what the proper route is for the harness?
2) Is it standard to have 2 or 3 wires connected to 1 or more terminals on the strip? I only have 1 terminal strip....should I have 2?
3)And will some of the starter solenoid terminals end up having more than 1 wire per? Gosh if get through these wiring issues everything else will be a breeze! Hope im on the right track!

levi_tsk

Ensign

question??
you do realize that the solenoid for the trim is seperate from the starter solenoid right? :D
also somewhere on the boat there should be a black box with the missing terminal strip and the other solenoid in it i think thats why the cord is so long looks like the trim solenoid is remotely mounted or something
heres and exploded view of your trim and tilt system see if it helps you on any of your questions you can right click and pint the picture if you need it
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...facturer=Evinrude&section=Power+Tilt+And+Trim

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well thats not good....I looked thoroughly and dont have a black box, no second terminal strip and the second solenoid is sitting in the front seat of my truck...lol. Back to square 1 I guess. My real problem is that I guess I dont understand the exact function of the terminal strips and solenoids. Also dont understand what goes to which terminal strips and which solenoid. All the diagrams just show wires running to "the" terminal and "the" solenoid....not "which" solenoid or strip. I dont know if I need to go to a Tech school or just wait til next year when I have the money to get it done...lol. Im not giving up yet.....Ill study some more and see.
Thanks again.

bankbuster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anybody have a picture (or pictures) of a complete motor 1978 Evinrude 115 hp Model# 115899C ? I need to see where the terminal strips and solenoids are located and how they are wired.

levi_tsk

Ensign

the solenoid controls the dirrection of the flow of electricity to the trim motor nothing else... kinda like a forward and a reverse switch if you get a terminal stip and hook it and the solenoid up exactly the way the diagrams shows youll have it

take your time and focus on each wire try not to look at it like OMG this is alot of wires! what does that do? why does that do that? this is one of those cases that you just need to know that if you hook it up the way its shows itll do what its sposed to do and also the worst you can do to this thing is hook it up where trim up is down and trim down is up at which point youll have to switch a couple of wires around and thats no big deal no harm no foul - the damn thing is color coded for petes sake!

its also a point to note that the trim system is COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the engine system SO if you were to hook the engine up (two battery cables coming from the motor and the big red plug ) you could try running it and wouldnt damage anything

at some point your gonna just have to dive into it take the diagrams and study all you like but it wont get it hooked up that way -as for the black plastic box -any small black plastic box will do (steal momma's tupperware if you have to) the only thing in it is a bunch of wires,a solenoid, and a seperate terminal strip for all the connections - youre over thinking it

hippy

Recruit

Can anyone tell me why my 1973 mercury 50hp is not firing? and also, is there a way to bypass any kill switch that it might have??

THANKS!!!!!!!

levi_tsk

Ensign

start a new thread hippy !! try posing in the merc section.....