Repair Teleflex Voltmeter?

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Teleflex Voltmeter gauge, in my 1986 Wellcraft Nova II, that doesn't work. It sits at about 12v with the key off and jumps to over 18, needle buried, when the key is turned on. It's like it needs to be adjusted. Voltage at the gauge connection has been verified to be 12.x volts, so it isn't my electrical system. The gauge for the other engine functions fine. I have not actually removed the gauge from the dash panel, and I see no external way to adjust it. I have seen some gauges that can be adjusted, but this one doesn't look like it's possible, and I hesitate to dissect it without more knowledge.
Has anyone else ever fixed/adjusted one of these gauges?
I hate to try and replace it because I have not seen any current Teleflex gauges that match this face.
It is part number 3552.

Thanks,
Chris

David6545

Recruit
Re: Repair Teleflex Voltmeter?

I have exactly the same problem with the voltmeter gauge in my 1994 Stratos. Is it possible to recalibrate the gauge?

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sold the boat before I got around to messing with this any further. I never examined mine really closely to see if there was any adjustment for it. I don't think they have it though.
Perhaps someone else here will know.

Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most gauges are sealed and not repairable except by the factory. If it is under warranty they would likely just give you a new one. The reason the gauge is no longer accurate is because the movement is damaged or the needle has spun on the shaft.

David6545

Recruit

Thank you for the information, Silvertip. The problem, of course, is they no longer make gauges that match the others in this 19 year old boat. I may look into the possibility of a factory repair.

David