gps antenna location

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
anyone ever mount them on the side like this? the holes are already there I have about 6 or 7 boat not moving just sitting

Attachments

• gps1.jpg
    gps1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: gps antenna location

Usually the higher the better, but as long as the antenna is getting an unobstructed view of the sky, you should have no problems.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good to me. My boat is smaller, and I don't have the holes already there, but I'm just now mounting my Humminbird GPS using the same mount. I'm putting it on the transom, just above the sonar transducer. Since you already have the holes, you don't have anything to lose by trying it there. But I think it will work fine. The fiberglass structure should be pretty transparent to the GPS signals.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

The antenna is clearly no seeing all the satellites. It still works....just check your position error....the more satellites, the lower the error....

Ideally, you would install the antenna as high overhead as possible....

(you're gonna need a bigger boat?)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

It will work there but rail and window frame and captain will block satellites. Also any wood under you Fiberglass will block satellites.

You can tell when your out on the water very easy. Turn to your satellite page and turn the boat to 90 degrees or East.
Now draw the pattern and satellites you see then turn the boat to 270 degrees or west and recheck the satellites.

If any are now gone then something is blocking them.
At first you may think missing one is no big deal but it can be.

The Satellites that are the hardest to receive are the WAAS Satellites. The WAAS Satellites are the ones that give you error correction information about all the other satellites. The WAAS are also the hardest to pick up because they are over the equator and Geostationary in high earth orbit about 22300 miles high. Sense they are Geostationary they must be over the equator so the farther North or South of the equator the lower on the horizon they are.

With out signal from them your GPS will not be as accurate. Without WASS error correction they are accurate to about 30 feet. With error correction they are accurate to about 10 feet.

If they are blocked I would go to a Lowes of Home Depot and buy a 1 inch threaded fitting and see if it will screw on where antenna now is. if it does then you could make antenna extension pole for under $10 to get your antenna above the rail and window frame. Then you can lay it down when necessary for cover.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I would suggest an aluminum bracket secured to the "Existing holes" L Shanped (Upside down L) and mount the Ant to that. I've been using GPS since the late 80's on airplanes and cars. It needs to "See the Sky" to get accurate signals.