Avalon Pontoon Wiring

Ka4guq

Recruit
I have an 2006 Avalon pontoon with a 2006 75hp Mercury 4 stroke. EFI. I think the alt is 50 amp ? Some boat dealers tell me it only has 15-20 alt? Does anyone know?
Another thing I would like to know is why there are two red wires going from Pos batt terminal to fuse box. They are both connected to same post on fuse box. They look to be about 10ga. Why didn't they just run one heavy wire? Anyway I want to add a 2nd battery and use it for everything except starting and instrument panel. Plan to run radio, fishing lights, fish finder, ect from 2nd battery. How can I find the main positive supply. The one that is always hot. I plan to use a vsr to charge batteries.
Thank, Larry

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Avalon Pontoon Wiring

My info says the alternator output is 20 amps at wide open throttle. Normally there is only ONE #10 red and black going to the fuse panel from the battery but if yours has two and both connect at the same place then so be it. How about the black negative leads -- two of those as well? The charging lead you are looking for is typically the smaller red wire on the starter solenoid. That terminal would have the large POS battery cable and the smaller chaging lead attached. That small red wire would feed the VSR.