What size amp do I need?

bburcham

Recruit
I'm not an electronic guru so im asking what size amp do I need to power my 4 kicker wakeboard tower speakers, 2 kicker speakers inside the boat and 1 12" subwoofer. What watt size amp and how many channels?

Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size amp do I need?

Hey bburcham, welcome aboard!! I am going to move this over to the electronics area. Some may flame you destroying their peace and tranquility, but even some of us old farts like a good system. Good luck and have a great season!

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can you list the part numbers for all the speakers so we can look up specs. Its the only way to properly select an amp.

bowrider200

Cadet

I am not an expert, but I think you need to provide some info like how many watts RMS/Peak for the speakers to get help. Should be listed on the packaging or magnets I do believe. Channels should depend on if you want the stereo effect or not. 4 channel with separate sub amp, or 4 channel with towers on front channel and sub bridged on rear channels. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I am fairly new here also.

bburcham

Recruit

Sorry! I am using kicker ks6500 6.5" speakers both on my wakeboard tower and in the interior of my boat.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

A quality 400 watt amp would power than nicely. Anymore than that and you'll be picking cone pieces up off of the floor.

TEutis

Seaman Apprentice

I have a set up similar to yours. I'm using a JL Audio 6450 (six channel amp) that's pushing a pair of Alpine 6x9's and the Polk 6.5" wakeboard tower speakers at 110 watts each wired at 2 ohms. It is also pushing a pair of Polk 5.25" components at 70 watts per channel wired in four ohms (the speakers are two ohm) and then I have a little Alpine MRP-M350 pushing a 10" JL Audio sub at 2 ohms giving it 350 watts. I also have the flexibility to add another set of speakers with the jl amp if I ever get another set for the wakeboard tower. I chose to go with regular car audio equipment rather than marine because of the cost and selection.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I would run the sub off a class d mono amp. A JL XD series or Alpine PDX series would do fine. Keeps it small since space is always at a premium.

For the main amp, I would look at a JL xd600/6. Why? You get 6 discreet channels with each channel having enough power to run your speakers. It is class D so it is small and easy to mount.

Probably a little overkill, but you won't have to upgrade them later.

In my boat I used an Alpine PDX for the sub, JL HD600/4 for the tower speakers and JL XD600/6 for the in boat speakers. If I had to do it all over again, I would have used a JL Sub amp instead of the Alpine. Only reason is it would match the other amps. My install is too custom to easily change it so the Alpine stays.