Minn Kota Vector 3x or Endura with Battery? both 55lb thrust

MidMichigan

Cadet
:confused:Hey guys - oppinion appreciated. Picked up a little 14' aluminum sea nymph and a 20hp merk - but am looking at used trolling motors for areas that are electric only lakes. What is the better deal - with the price ($180) and age (3 years old) being the same - A minn Kota Vector 3x 55lbs transom mount, or Minn Kota Endura 55lb with battery included? :confused:

If you have experince with both models - which way would you go? Reliability? Power? Features?

Have to decide quick n call guy back in a few hours.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Minn Kota Vector 3x or Endura with Battery? both 55lb thrust

I have a 14' jon boat and have used several TM's on it, lots of experience on what I like and don't like... I'm using a 70# Vector 3x on it right now, though, it's WAY too much thrust for a 14' jon boat.

On the Vector, is it a "digital" infinite speed (speed markings 1-10) or an old speed coil (5 forward, 3 reverse)? A digital TM is worth more money (than the Endura) and will go far longer on a battery charge, probably 3 times longer run time. If it's digital I would snap it up in a heartbeat,,, if it's working.

The 3x steering can take some getting "used to" as slight adjustments on the handle make big adjustments at the prop. You can't just point the handle and relate that to which direction the prop is pointing. IE: point the tiller handle off to the side and the motor is going backwards,,, 3x... I like this as I can make a small tweeks of the motor while trolling. Though, there are times when I kind of hate the 3x steering, but it's pro's outweigh the con's. 3x steering is also a lot more expensive than the Endura.

The Endura does not really have any advantages over the Vector. Only one I can think of is reliability as it's a simpler design, no electronics.

Oh yeah, if the Vector is digital, you WANT that one for electric only lakes. Running both motors at max speed will draw the same amount of power, but at slower speeds a digital trolling motor will go a lot further than an old speed coil TM like the Endura.

Vector digital 55# 3X was around 400-500 new
Endura 55# was around $200+ new.........

Vector 55 digital

fishrdan

Admiral

Oh yeah, I wouldn't consider the battery included with the 55 Endura as a bonus. Who knows the condition of the battery, it might be bad or marginal, abused, left uncharged for long periods of time, needing to be replaced.

I'd look to buy a new battery with either of those TM's, then charge it up right after your fishing trip. Don't leave it sitting discharged or it will hurt the battery.

MidMichigan

Cadet

Thanks guys. Is the price fair? (update - says have 150 cash and Vector is mine - says sold for 360 new) I don't think it's the digital or he would have mentioned it - but did say the prop design is "wedged" which is better for heavily weeded areas.

Maybe later a foot controlled - but spent too much on old fixer-upper glass boat, used 20 Merc, used alumimum boat, and safety accessories. My wallet laughed and said "hey what you looking for?" last time i opened it =)

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral

$360 new,,, it could be digital, maybe he doesn't know the difference

If it's a "non-digital" Vector, it's a toss-up. You might like or hate the 3x steering.

On the digital motors, when you turn the handle to increase the speed it's smooth, the non-digital's have notches/clicks for each speed. Go and check them out and see what he has.

$150 for a 55# digital TM is pretty good deal. Not so much of a good deal on a 55# Endura, but still better than $240+tax for a new endura.

BTW, I bought a 45# Endura, almost brand spanking new, a couple years ago for $75. I guess the area and time of year could affect the price though...

MidMichigan

Cadet

Don't know if you can tell if it's the digital from the pics? Maybe non-digital had subtle difference in appearance. - Left a message but waiting to hear back from seller.

min5f.jpg

minnvector1.jpg

Update: turns out it is digital type - called this morning and said kids knocked over and broke plastic cover - but doesn't effect function. (to replace cover and decal runs only 10 bucks from minn kota, and shipping another 10 - so not too bad - in case yours gets cracked too)

Also getting a 43# bow mount motor guide with foot controll for $75 - :)

Thanks again guys.

Last edited: