Replacing bow light assembly

PDubs

Seaman
Tried to call around and figure out where to get used (older) Baja parts to no avail after about five #s. It looks like my bow lights are out and the green lens is gone/destroyed. I'm not sure how to replace the assembly and what to replace it. Can someone give me some guidance? I don't mind using aftermarket Attwood or the like.

Boat is 1999 Baja Boss 272. Assembly is of the type that houses both red and green lights.

Updated 05/02: Direct replacement purchased and installed (Perko) but keeps blowing the 10A fuse. All other electrical components work fine. Install method described below, is there a way to isolate the issue?

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing bow light assembly

It really couldn't be more simple unless your unit is really integrated somehow. Have you checked greatlakesskipper.com? They have a lot of manufacturer overstock parts and may have something closer to your OEM than a regular off the shelf replacement.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I had to the same thing. A buddy was helping my son load the boat on trailer and he ran the bow into the trailer winch, Broke the light right off into the water. they fished it out and then i took it to the local dealer and they matched one up to the tee. If not you just have the one hole in the center for the wirers and two screew holes, so an oversized one should work as long as it cover old screw holes. Good Luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might post a picture of your particular light and someone may know how it comes apart. There are hundreds of hold down methods used on different lights over the years.

PDubs

Seaman

I purchased the replacement light and took it to the boat this weekend. To my surprise it was a direct replacement! The product is PERKO 12V Bi-color light, Cat. No. 1310DP0CHR. The holes lined up perfectly so no issues there.

However, after I wired it up (two wires, one each white/back) and tested, it kept blowing the 10A fuse instantaneously?! I went through two fuses with the same behavior. All other electrical components work fine. Now I'm clueless because it's not an issue of whether or not I got the right product nor the wiring. I spliced the wires and covered it with heat-shrink, then took my heat gun to it. I kept it a distance away so as to not harm the wiring but I really don't know what else to check? I have a multi-meter if someone can give me some instructions to help isolate the issue.

NYBo

Admiral

You have a dead short. Start at the socket and work your way back to the switch. Something is crossed somewhere.

j_martin

Admiral

I purchased the replacement light and took it to the boat this weekend. To my surprise it was a direct replacement! The product is PERKO 12V Bi-color light, Cat. No. 1310DP0CHR. The holes lined up perfectly so no issues there.

However, after I wired it up (two wires, one each white/back) and tested, it kept blowing the 10A fuse instantaneously?! I went through two fuses with the same behavior. All other electrical components work fine. Now I'm clueless because it's not an issue of whether or not I got the right product nor the wiring. I spliced the wires and covered it with heat-shrink, then took my heat gun to it. I kept it a distance away so as to not harm the wiring but I really don't know what else to check? I have a multi-meter if someone can give me some instructions to help isolate the issue.

Check between the 2 leads with an ohmmeter set on the lowest scale. Should be a couple of ohms, but not open and not shorted. (0 ohms)

Odds are good the wire's frayed where it's crimped into the bulb connecter in the bottom of the socket. You could give it a hair cut, or you could just go get another one.

As far as wiring error, hooking two wires to two wires where polarity is no concern and shorting it out would take some creativity, unless the mounting is grounded, in which case polarity might make a difference. In household wiring, black is hot, white is ground. In a boat or car, it's usually the other way around, with black being ground or negative.