Trickle Chargers are harmful to battery life?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Per the care instructions for my AC Delco Deep Cycle batteries.

Do not leave the battery connected to any type of battery charger after it is fully charged
Using trickle chargers over long periods of time will shorten the life of a battery. The Voyager maintenance free design has a very low discharge rate in storage, eliminating the need for constant low level charging. If the battery is stored for six months, recharge it in accordance with the methods shown in this brochure to keep it ready for immediate use.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Trickle Chargers are harmful to battery life?

Per the care instructions for my AC Delco Deep Cycle batteries.

Do not leave the battery connected to any type of battery charger after it is fully charged
Using trickle chargers over long periods of time will shorten the life of a battery. The Voyager maintenance free design has a very low discharge rate in storage, eliminating the need for constant low level charging. If the battery is stored for six months, recharge it in accordance with the methods shown in this brochure to keep it ready for immediate use.

I have never used a trickle charger. I charge them after removal from boat, once in mid-winter, and just before spring commissioning. I won't leave a smart charger on for more than 24 hours, either. Brown-outs, and lightening are always a possibility in my area.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trickle Chargers are harmful to battery life?

If you have a "smart" charger that can sense battery voltage and only charge when it drops below a certain threshhold, then you can leave a battery connected to it continuously no problem. Unless you have a lightning problem, I suppose.

If it is not a smart charger and force-feeds amps no matter what, then it will eventually boil away the electrolyte. In this case maintenance-free==screwed.