On/Off Illuminated Rocker Switch with 3 posts

filovirus

Cadet
Hello,

I am in the process of installing a Structure Scan module. The installation guide mentions using a switch to turn the module off when not needed. Apparently it pulls quite a load.

I purchased an Ancor illuminated single pole single throw rocker switch, but it has three posts on the back. I only expected two, with the switch completing the circuit when on.

Two posts of them are together on the left side and one is farther away in the opposing corner. It did not come with any instructions, so I am a bit lost.

I left it with the boat, so I cannot put up an pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Filo

jhebert

Ensign
Re: On/Off Illuminated Rocker Switch with 3 posts

Electrical switches which contain illumination usually need to have a ground circuit connected to them so that the internal lamp current can flow.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

These illuminated switches require three terminals. 1) the +12 volt input (line), 2) the +12 volt output (load) and 3) ground. Warning: The ground is only for the internal light in the switch. Do not connect any other grounds to this terminal. The ground terminal is normally marked with a ground symbol. If you get the line and load connections reversed, the indicator light will be on all the time. Simply reverse the two wires.

filovirus

Cadet

Thank you very much for responding.

I am not clear about "Do not connect other grounds to this terminal" I will have a positive from my fuse block powering the switch, a positive leaving the switch to the device when the switch is ON, and a ground (black) from the side of the fuse box to the ground on the switch. Is this correct?

Now I just need to figure out which blade is power, device, and ground.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are correct on the ground. What I meant is not to connect a ground wire from any other device to that ground terminal on the switch. A test light or ohm meter will help you locate the ground terminal.