Bow mounted switch for tilt trim - Purple wire

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
First of all, I have been lurking around here for some time and this site is probably the most comprehensive of any boating site I have ever seen. Thanks to the many who contribute to it. This is my first post so I hope this area is appropriate for the question.

My project is a 1984 bass tracker III with a Mercury 50hp outboard. I decided to replace the decks and I have gutted the entire boat. The wiring under the console is a rats nest of in line fuses and splices and home style wire nuts. It had exposed wires running along the starboard rail to the front casting deck and to be honest I like wiring jobs to look very clean or be hidden completely. The wires described above have been exposed to sunlight for so long they are very faded and I am sure the insulation has degraded over time although they still carry current.

I have used the multi meter to test the integrity of the OE bow mounted tilt trim trailer switch and found it to be defective. It looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINT...4841596QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

I have given some thought to finding another and I have located a two button switch which I assume is tilt trim only. The OE switch was capable of the "trailer" function which was a LOT quicker in raising the motor than trim up. Perhaps this is the "Tilt"? Forgive me if this is not the correct terminology.

The purpose of having this switch is to rapidly raise the motor after tightening the winch straps while still at the bow to enable me to get off the ramp as soon as possible and let the other boaters get on with it too.

Info about current wires: Red- Hot, Green with white stripe- Down, Blue with white stripe- Up, Purple with white stripe=? The PTT motor is currently not working which really makes me wonder what this wire is supposed to do. This has really made it difficult to re wire this boat. If I trace it to the PTT motor it connects to the three wire plug back there. Is the purple for the "Trailer" portion of lifting?

Questions:

1. What does the purple wire do? Rapid lifting of motor?
2. Ever hear of someone installing a switch to the bow to only function for quick lifting. I don't need to use this switch for fine trim adjustments.
Like this?
http://www.dhcampingandfishingsupply.com/20220.html

3. How does the trailer switch lift so much quicker than the trim up? More voltage? Different gearing or speed the motor turns? I just don't get it.
4. If I get a simple two button tilt trim can it just be wired with the up going to the tilt instead of the trim up?

I am sorry if this question has been beaten to death. I have used the search function that yielded what seems like 14 pages of threads but not really what I am looking for. If it's been covered a link is very appreciated.

On a side note, I am taking pics along the way if anyone is interested in seeing this project unfold I will share. I hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Last edited:

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Bow mounted switch for tilt trim - Purple wire

I am assuming you have the older style PTT system with the pump/reservoir in the boat and two motor mounted hydraulic rams.

The 3-button control you have performs two functions, TRIM and TILT. Only difference between the two operations is that the TILT feature bypasses the TRIM range of motion, allowing the motor to be fully raised. The TRIM feature has (had?) a limit switch wired into the circuitry that prevented the motor from being raised out of the water while in operation. There is no speed difference between TRIM and TILT operation.

Attached is a schematic of the PTT system.

On the 3-button control, the bottom button is TRIM down. Middle button is TRIM up. Pressing the top button by itself does nothing. Pressing BOTH the middle and top button bypasses the trim limit switch and TILTS the motor fully up. The purple wire provides power to bypass the trim limit switch, allowing the motor to TILT completely up. Again, there is NO difference in operating speed between the two functions.

If the trim limit switch is defective (as many are) then it will prevent the TRIM UP function from operating. The TRIM down function works independently of the limit switch. The TILT operation should work independent of the limit switch also.

Yes you can install a two button switch to control the TILT/TRIM operation. I have the three button control at the helm of my boat, and a two button control at the stern to assist with loading/unloading the boat.

trim wiring.jpg

Firewalker688

Seaman Apprentice

I can not explain how helpful you have been to me and I thank you for your reply. I have never held two of the buttons at the same time so the switch I have may work just fine. At the helm the switches are split on the throttle control. Trim up/down with a "trailer" button below. I will be going out to the shop now to check the original three button switch with the meter. I really need to replace the trim motor as all I get now is a click with the blue wire connected to hot. I have tapped it lightly with a hammer and no improvement. I am not really sure where the limit switch is located on this but I plan on looking. Thanks a million for the reply. I appreciate it.

Scott

Moody Blue

Captain

You're very welcome. The limit switch is found in the starboard trim ram mounting bracket. There will be what looks like a black extension cord exiting from the front of the mounting bracket.

Quite commonly, the switch becomes faulty and the user ends up bypassing the switch rather than repair/replace it. From the diagram I attached in the previous post, you can see that connecting the purple wire to the blue wires in the three button harness will bypass the switch.