Installing a Raymarine Autopilot and want to connect it to my E80 display

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings all,
Can anyone help simplify this for me? I see a number of ways of connecting the E80 to the network, but which is the most effective? I see that I can run a spur cable from the E80 to my seatalk network switch, or I can use an NMEA0183 connection. I guess I can also go from the E80 tp the ST70 autopilot display and run that to seatalk etc.

I have a dual E80 setup into a network switch with radar and sounder. I bought the type 1 hydraulic pump to drive my dual outboards and they system pack includes the fluxgate compass.

Any one have experience with this install? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
Pat

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing a Raymarine Autopilot and want to connect it to my E80 display

I'd use Seatalk where I can and leave 0183 out of it unless it was the only way to communicate with a unit.

The more cable runs you have the more problems you'll have down the road. If you have a port available on the E-80, I?d forget a bout the swtich and go directly from the E-80 to the AP.

NYBo

Admiral

I'd use Seatalk where I would and leave 0183 out of it unless it was the only way to communicate with a unit.
I agree. The NMEA 0183 protocol is of rather limited versatility and capacity.

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update, I had install a seatalk ng back bone cable with three spur cables tee'd off. One to the E80, one to the x10 computer and one to the St70 control unit.

bazzer69

Recruit

I have the same issue, a E809, already installed, a S1 autopilot and a gyroplus2. I contacted Raymarine and all they did was to send a link to a Pathfinder manual. What we both need is a wiring diagram.
I am not sure where to connect the Fluxgate compass and if 183 is needed as well as Seatalk.
Any help would be very welcome by both me and I'm sure Pat!