Trolling Motor steering cable

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone,

It's been quite some time since I last posted. I have a question I'd like to see if someone can assist me with. I was given a Minn-Kota Mag 24 trolling motor. (I believe it's a 1992, but can't verify that). The electronics/motor work fine, but the steering cable has kind of disintegrated. The middle wire is there, but the outer insulation and the wire shielding broke at the foot pedal end. I looked at it for about an hour today and I can't figure out a way to repair it. I'd like to just cut the cable back to some fresh insulator, screw it back into the end fitting and be done with it, but I can't figure out a way to extract the center wire from the outer shield.

I am having hell locating parts for almost any Minn-Kota that is older than 10 years. Does anyone have any ideas on an appropriate fix for this type of trolling motor? What about using a universal throttle cable like for a lawn mower or go-cart? I'm just looking for assistance. Surely someone out there has been down this path before.

Mark

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trolling Motor steering cable

A couple of years ago, I shortened a cable like you mentioned, so I know it can be done. I just cannot remember how I did that.

TerryMSU

kowboifan

Recruit

Did you ever figure this out? I am having same prob with a minn kota someone just gave me

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Same here... we need a fix!!! I've got an old Minn Kota 599 with both cables gone. surely there's a reasonably priced way to fix them.

knightjake

Recruit
anybody have a solution? I have the same problem with a Motorguide Brute F1. So old it doesn't even have a model number just the serial number! The link in post #2 doesn't work

Last edited:

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I read a lot and made a few phone calls. It was suggested that I use bicycle brake cables. I thought about adapting shift or throttle cables off of a boat to make them work... never got around to tinkering with it. Somebody give it a shot and let me know how it goes.... got too much on my hands to do it myself any time soon.