Possible to use livewell pump as bilge pump?

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm new to the bilge and livewell pumps, and trying to test my electronics for proper function. I seem to have 2 similar pumps, at different levels, in the rear of my boat. They both appear the exact same shape and color, and from what i can see they're both made by "Mayfield", and on the label of one says "Basspirator" (can't read the full label on the other one). I also see a "Super Switch" unit that i'm assuming is a float switch (thanks Google). I only have 1 livewell, so i'm not sure why there'd be 2 exact pumps in the rear. When i flip the toggle switch on the dash for "Bilge", i hear/see nothing, but if i unplug the drain plug water does come out (we just had a rain storm yday). I'm feeling as if the previous owner has 2 Mayfield Basspirators installed, yet the only way my livewell seems to fill is if i use the manual turn-knob behind the driver seat. One pump's hose goes forward of the rear (assuming to the livewell?), and the other pump's hose goes toward the bilge exit hole on the side. If a float switch is installed, is it normal procedure for a bilge pump to ONLY activate when the switch is up or should the dash switch turn it on manually? Either way, i've only got 3 switches on the dash - Lights, Bilge, and Aerator. No way of singling out "Livewell Pump" other than the manually knob behind the seat.

I've got to find a local bass boat owner to show me around this thing, i haven't a clue :confused:

Attachments

• IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0318.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Possible to use livewell pump as bilge pump?

It appears that you have 2 bilge pumps and 1 float switch. A livewell pump will get water from a thru hull fitting or will be mounted on the transom with the intake going thru the hull.

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Possible to use livewell pump as bilge pump?

Well, figured out the "bilge" switch on the dash simply powers up the float switch. Without the bilge switch turned on, the float switch can be elevated and nothing happens. But after i flicked the bilge switch, then elevated the float switch, it pumped. I'd like to find a way to make the float switch stay powered, and the dash switch force the pump to run manually. I'm still concerned a lil with that second pump though - the attached hose doesn't go towards the bilge exit, but runs up passed the gas tank. That's why i was thinking it was the aerator pump to fill the livewell. If i could get a model number or something from the pumps, i'd be able to tell if they're cartridge-replacable pumps so i could at least switch those out. I've definitely got some wiring jobs that need to be done though, trick is finding a reputable person to do it right around my area.