Fuel Flow Meter

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
I have a chance to get a new Floscan 5520-264-2 for a steal. I have a single 188hp Mercruiser gas I/O, and I'm trying to see if I can use it. The Floscan site's model selector guide doesn't list this model anymore, so I'm unsure if it's the right one. I do realize that I would need to 'upgrade' to the 20B due to the ethanol problem they had with the o-ring in the 264, but I'm under the impression that the 5520-264-2 has 2 sensors/sending units, and one does not have the o-ring. Is that correct? If I understand correctly, the 5520 can work with up to a 20gph flow rate(?)

Also, it says to install after the fuel filter, but before the pump. Do they mean any filter, or the FWS?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel Flow Meter

Beefer...the correct model for your boat should be the 5532-20B-1, but any one of them on the 5500 (Cruisemaster) series will work. The one you need is based on the engine HP and with your engine/outdrive combo, I would assume you fall into the 201-350 HP range. This would be the 0-32 GPH scale. If you fall under 201 HP, you can easily use the 5520.

The 55XX is the number of GPH the guage reads. 5510=0-10 GPH; 5520=0-20; 5532=0-32...

The other models would work (0-10 GPH, 0-20 GPH), but you may peg them on 3/4 to WOT. Depends on your boat.

The 2 sensors you are describing are the number for twin engines (20B-1; single engine...264-2; twin engines). You obviously only need to install 1 sensor. The 20B sensor installs between the tank and the fuel pump, usually after the fuel filter/FWS. The 231 sensor is made for 150HP+ OUTBOARDS.

I have been running a FloScan scan setup for years and think they are great. The only problem is that it let's you know how much fuel you are burning!! :eek:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Fireman, thanks!
I called Floscan, and found out that this set is at least 8 yrs old, and was the recommended unit for my engine (188hp). The difference between the 264 and the 20B sensor, is that the 264 has a rubber diaphragm that can (will?) deteriorate with exposure to E10 fuels. Fortunately for me, I have access to non-ethanol fuel, so I shouldn't have to worry, but I'll be keeping an eye open. Since the set has 2 sensors, I'll have a spare.

Picked it up as a clearance item, new in the box for $70. I think I did well.

jimbo3123

Seaman Apprentice

Nice find. Where'd you get it if you don't mind me asking?

NYBo

Admiral

I called Floscan, and found out that this set is at least 8 yrs old, and was the recommended unit for my engine (188hp). The difference between the 264 and the 20B sensor, is that the 264 has a rubber diaphragm that can (will?) deteriorate with exposure to E10 fuels.
E10 has been around a lot longer than 8 years. It's even listed as being acceptable for my '88 Force outboard. I think you would be fine with E10 should you be forced to use it at some point.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Picked it up as a clearance item, new in the box for $70. I think I did well.

You stole it. A typical dual engine setup should run $325-$400. I just purchased a new gauge (they call it a meterhead) from Floscan and it...alone...was $125.00. My GPH needle reading still works just fine, but the total GPH LCD readout has gone blank. I know how much I'm burning per hour, but I don't have the total. I have a 250 mile trip coming up and I want to keep an eye on it.

I wonder if I can sell the meterhead on eBay and recoup a little $$$?

By the way Beefer...you're in Florida...check this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458161

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Hi Fireman....the total readout is on a seperate circuit, isn't it? A constant 12V for memory.

The readout does have a constant 12v, but I'm not sure if it has separate circuit. My original thought was to simply replace the LCD display, but I couldn't find any suitable replacement. I didn't want to add another thing in the dash, just wanted the original equipment look. I think the constant 12v is what killed the display. It never shuts off. 24 hours per day x 365 days per year x 10 years is over 86,000 hours of readout. I can't imagine why it finally broke...:rolleyes:

But if someone wanted to wire in a separate LCD display, it should work just fine.