Help with trolling motor mounting ideas on a 16' CC with bow rail

jsharlan

Cadet
hello there, I am looking for help from anyone who has run into my problem before. I have a 88 O'Day Legend 16' center console that I am trying to figure out how to put a trolling motor on. It has a slightly recessed deck and a tall rail around the bow. I haven't run across anything searching yet that looks like it would fit my application. I'm hoping to find some insight from other cc owners. Here is a couple pics of my boat.

IMG957110.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help with trolling motor mounting ideas on a 16' CC with bow rail

My jonboat has a similar recessed deck but no bow rail.
I used a piece of 2" x 6" rectangular aluminium tubing under the troller to bring it flush. Works fine.
Here's the best shot I have- you can see the alum. under the black bracket:
Interior003.jpg

jsharlan

Cadet

So you screwed the aluminum tubing to your deck and then mounted the trolling base to the aluminum? How sturdy is that aluminum, would it support the weight of a heavier trolling motor?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, the tube is plenty strurdy.
I was most concerned about the screws pulling out of the deck but it's been used for 3 summers and they're still tight. If they get loose I'll use T nuts under the deck.

jsharlan

Cadet

where did you get the tubing and how did you mount it?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I ordered it from a local fabrication/welding shop. It cost me 30 bucks for a 3' length.
I mounted the spacer by drilling six 1/2" diameter holes in the 'top' and six matching 1/4" holes in the 'bottom'. I used #12 x 3/4" self-tapping screws into the deck. I needed a bit extension to get the screws tight. The trolling motor had 6 mounting holes ao I used the same type screws to mount it to the spacer.