Shakespear marine radio antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonB4Lori

Cadet
Believe it or not, (I can't) the short piece of antenna cable (about 7") from the grommet into the antenna base on my T-Top snagged a tree branch trailering down the road. I pulled the cable out of the fiberglass whip, then there was a short length left in the tip. I removed about a 16" end of antenna wire. Can I push more antenna cable back to the tip of the whip and the radio signal correctly? I notice the end that came from the tip of the antenna was "bared" to the center wire enclosed in plastic, no wire mesh for about 16", then the normal "white" cable surrounding the wire mesh, surrounding the plastic insulator and wire.

Thanks

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Shakespear marine radio antenna

It doesn't sound good, initially I would say your antenna is trash but ultimately the only way to check is too use a watt meter so you don't damage your radio.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shakespear marine radio antenna

i would get a new antenna.you need a swr meter(standing wave ratio) to test the antenna.like said above you could damage your radio.your vhf radio is a very important if you need it.i would not screw around with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.