Trolling Motor Battery Disconnect?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I have never had a trolling motor but I have a Minn Kota coming in for my tin boat.
I also went with the 60 amp circuit breaker which is also coming in.
But I have read here somewhere that it's not a good idea to leave the motor connected to the battery for long periods of time indicating that the motor will continue to use power even though it's not being used?
That being said, do you use some type of switch between the motor and the positive lead or are you just disconnecting the lead from the battery when the motor is not in use?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Battery Disconnect?

Not sure if what you were told is true and I doubt that it is since the motor has an OFF position. However, if your motor is a bow or stern mount, at some point you will want to remove it. If it is a bow mount I would strongly suggest you install the motor on a quick release plate., This allows removal of the motor in seconds for travel or storage security. With either type of motor, install a plug on the motor side of the cable and a mating receptacle on the boat side of the system. You simply unplug or plug as needed. These range from inexpensive $10 or so to more expensive twist lock styles that run $30 or more. Here again, iBoats has the items you need. You can use a two or three wire plug/receptacle but for your motor you only need two. Here Ya go --

http://www.iboats.com/Trolling-Moto...5157834--**********.831328996--view_id.238353

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

I just read a couple of posts in this forum stating that they had left their motors connected, and I assume in the off position, and that over a period of overnight or during a day the battery discharged through the motor somehow.
I found this hard to believe myself as off is off unless the control circuitry had one hell of a draw to it.
The motor I ordered from iBoats is just a transom mounted Endura @ 40# for my tin boat. But I think a good DC plug will be in order anyway just so that if I want to remove the motor for security overnight that I can quickly.
I would hate to have to shoot anyone over a trolling motor.
I nearly did over my Honda genset a few years back as is while camping. The SOB snuck up to our trailer, unplugged my little 2000i and started to shag with with. I told him to stop and he picked up the pace. I fired one shot past him into the ground in the forest and he stopped in a hurry.
He got arrested and was smart enough to stop when I fired the warning shot. His brother was waiting in a pickup not to far from our camping area for him to return and he got nailed by the law too. They had been doing this all over the area as it turned out.
I hate thieves! :mad:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There would be a large number of irate fisherpersons if they had to disconnect their trollers to avoid battery discharge -- especially if it happened overnight. That would be a relatively large current draw as you suggested. Chances are something else was left on in the boat.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

I ran down to my Napa store and found what I had in mind. These will work well for the price in my install. They are polarized so you can't make a mistake, heavy duty and come apart easy to make a quick disconnect. These are rated at 50 amps continuous (my motor is rated at 42) but the come much bigger too.
I had a much bigger version for jumper cables on my diesel truck years ago.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NW_740234_0063685698

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks but I already bought the polarized plugs shown in my link above, and they were only $14 and available at my local Napa Auto Parts store so I did not have to pay shipping either.
Besides, that switch you show is OK but it's really designed for a bulkhead style mount. I don't have any bulkheads in my aluminum boat.