Cannon downriggers, short stop system.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I just got a pair of Mag15 cannon downriggers and the short stop thing is a bit puzzling to me.
It seems to be impossible to test it with the boat out of the water and it seems to be impossible to get the insulating parts that are supposed to be on the cable.
Cannon owners,please share your wisdom and experience.
Thank you,Rolmops.

sasto

Captain
Re: Cannon downriggers, short stop system.

Used Cannon for years.....Don't know what you mean by a short stop.....Yankees will sell you one for around 15mil. :rolleyes:

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the Mag 10... Because Canon has power to the downrigger wire, when the ball becomes dry (jusr clears the surface of the water), the motor will stop and you will have to hit the button to manually bring it up further. IE. the "short stop thingie" is automatic...

On Scotty's they have a metal or plastic stop that is positioned where you want the Scotty to stop on its way up.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Used Cannon for years.....Don't know what you mean by a short stop.....Yankees will sell you one for around 15mil. :rolleyes:

I know that short stop,the Yankees can keep him.

sasto

Captain

I have the Mag 10... Because Canon has power to the downrigger wire, when the ball becomes dry (jusr clears the surface of the water), the motor will stop and you will have to hit the button to manually bring it up further. IE. the "short stop thingie" is automatic...

On Scotty's they have a metal or plastic stop that is positioned where you want the Scotty to stop on its way up.

Learned something here!