Garmin 546s, Lowrance HDS 7, RayMarine A57D Advice

ckat

Recruit
Read through many forums and online searches. Price point is right at $1000 at this point depending on what my wife wants for Christmas!! If she wants those ear rings...then going to only spend around $500..will keep you posted.

"my" Conclusions to date:
Garmin: Solid product, better at GPS then fishfinding, decent display, easier to use, no side scan
Lowrance: mixed reviews, great display, questionable customer service, better fishfinding capabilities, not as good at GPS, has side scan
Raymarine: little more expensive, average display, average fishfinder capability, easier to use, unknown about side scan at this point

22' Grady White off-shore and intra-coastal Florida fishing. Any advice would be great but also prefer owners of these units.
Thanks

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Garmin 546s, Lowrance HDS 7, RayMarine A57D Advice

Present your wishes to your wife. She will want those earrings and they won;t be $500 bucks either.

ckat

Recruit

Present your wishes to your wife. She will want those earrings and they won;t be $500 bucks either.
did I say ear rings?? I meant ear ring! Maybe the next year get the other one!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I can tell you from personal experience that the screens on all three of those units are too small to use as a multi-function display on that boat.
Split the screen on any of those units and go back to the transom on a sunny day and see what you think. If you?re like me and are constantly watching the GPS and sonar screens, a 6? display cut in half is not going to cut it.

Consider going with separate units for each function. I went with separate 8? fish finder and an 8? multi-function display for GPS and Radar. No problems standing at the back of the boat and seeing the displays. It will take you longer to put a complete system together but the pay backs are worth it.

Garmin: Best GPS technology. Every easy to use. Good display quality and presentation of information. Fish finder is Average. New units and Black box sonar are now digital and supposedly better. Long product support cycles.

Lowrance: Average GPS, Good fish finder. Good display quality, color pallet is limited. Short product support cycles.

Raymarine: Good GPS, Average to good fish finder (Digital) Good display qualities. Can be complicated to set up and operate. Long product support cycles