Ignition switch wiring Mercury

drewpster

Commander
Can anybody tell me the color code for wiring an ignition switch for a 1990 or so Mercury 90hp outboard? I am using a remote push-to-choke switch rather than the one in the shifter box. The one in the shifter box is missing so I am going with an aftermarket switch.
I also need to know how to set A Teleflex tach dip switch for this engine and the wiring color code for the tach connection. Thanks for help, the end of the harness is out of the control box and I'm having trouble sorting out the connections. It does still have the short barrel plug that comes off the harness at the control box, (shifter) but I do not have the factory connector for it.
Any help?
drewp

BTW- I need the engine end as well if possible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition switch wiring Mercury

Here is picture 1 of 2

MercIgn1.jpg

MercIgn2.jpg

Tach is set for 12 pole - 6 pulse (a 12 pole alternator produces 6 pulses).

The tach needs +12 volts, ground and the send signal from the harness (gray I think).

drewpster

Commander
Re: Ignition switch wiring Mercury

Thanks Silvertip. Can I run all this off the extral barrel connector at the shifter end of the harness? (the one that comes off the shifter from the factory)
Also, some of the connections at the engine end of the harness look like they are in the wrong place. I have checked continuity and resistence through the whole harness and everything is .5 ohm or less so, it is good. It just looks like they used some wires in the wrong place at the engine end. Do you know where these go?
I have the start circuit worked out I think. I just need rectifier and ignition. Looks like everything is there, just in the wrong place. Everything on the switch box and the coils looks good,

I hate to have to buy a new harness, the wire looks very clean in this one.

drewp