Battery for 1972 Ray Jefferson Depth Finder?

CherApril44

Recruit
My boyfriend has an old boat that had a 1972 Ray Jeff Model 400 Depth Finder in it. However, the battery is missing from the device, and there is no label in there to say what type of battery that it would take. I wonder if they still even make the sort of battery that would fit in there. My question is if anybody out there knows what type of battery that it would take, and/or the proper voltage that would power the device if we were to find an electrician that could attach an external battery terminal to power the device.

Thank you greatly for any information that you have.

Sincerely,

Cheryl

mpapp

Recruit
Re: Battery for 1972 Ray Jefferson Depth Finder?

My boyfriend has an old boat that had a 1972 Ray Jeff Model 400 Depth Finder in it. However, the battery is missing from the device, and there is no label in there to say what type of battery that it would take. I wonder if they still even make the sort of battery that would fit in there. My question is if anybody out there knows what type of battery that it would take, and/or the proper voltage that would power the device if we were to find an electrician that could attach an external battery terminal to power the device.

Thank you greatly for any information that you have.

Sincerely,

Cheryl

The original manual for the R J 400 says:

Battery No & Mfg.
Ray Jefferson 00080P3
Mallory-TR-169 or Equal

I have also been looking for information on a replacement. The manual says the battery was a Mercury battery. The circuit diagram in the manual indicates that it is 8.4V. Perhaps an equivalent lithium battery could be used.

Michael

UncleWillie

Captain

I found two references to the long obsolete and discontinued, TR-169 battery, describing it as a 12.6 volt battery.
Try any 12 volt battery to see if it works. You have little to lose.

Unless he has a sentimental attachment to the 40 year old Sonar, it may be time to upgrade to something a little more current.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think this thread is three years old, let me check. Yep - Three years old. Please!!!!