Whats the deal with boat radios? (Stereos)

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I want a radio for my boat (stereo, for music). My boat is a boat, not a car. Also it's 2010, I don't use CDs. Why is it that every radio I see, is a DIN style car stereo but for "marine" use. My boat is very small, I don't have any good place to put a car-style radio. I designed a better radio, in my head. It works like this. The radio and AMP are in a metal box, no buttons, no cd drive. Just a box with electronics. I could mount that all up in the passenger side dashboard. The buttons to control this radio would be a separate piece, much smaller than a traditional "face" because there would be no CD or TAPE (hah!) slot. Just a simple set of fully waterproof control buttons, so you could mount this panel top site. So power goes into the dash on the passenger side. Then wires come out of the box for speakers, one for the controls, and ideally a USB port for iPods and other flash media. AM/FM/USB. Thats all people need these days. That's all I need anyway.

I've been so frustrated by my limited options for radios for my boat. There is NO room at all on my dash, to mount a car-style radio where the face would be exposed. The only place I could mount a radio like that would be IN the glove box. Problem is even the glove box is small. A radio would fit but my passengers and I put the glove box to good use when boating. I really don't want to lose that storage space.

Am I the only one who has this problem? I know every newer boat i've seen has a spot for one of these radios. My awesome 1984 boat does not :cool:

l008com

Re: Whats the deal with boat radios? (Stereos)

Yeah, thats a start. That particular model is pricier than I want, and has just one review, thats really bad. But thats the concept. Looking at that though, I realize that even if I find a good one, the "face" is probably going to be way too big to mount anyplace good too. I was hoping for something small at the bottom left corner of the drivers side dash.

So the only picture of my dash that I could find, is this old one. The dirt is gone, the rug is long gone. And the speedometer has moved to the right side gauge hole, and the left gauge hole now houses my depth finder.
dashx.jpg

This was also taken before the boat sank at the dock and completely ruined all the seats and their wooden backings :(

l008com

Hey you're cheating! Editing posts after I click reply! Your west marine link is just an amp and speakers, not an actual 'radio'. The clarion is interesting, I'll have to check that out in detail.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I know what you mean. I hope you can see where I mounted mine Its the little black box in the walkway to the bow. It works well there. It can be accessed from either front seat as well as the bow when I am kicked back power lounging. Its a nice little recessed box with a flipdown lid. I forgot where I bought the housing but I quick checked I boats here under stereo mounting. There are a few options available right here. There are options out there. Then I wired the power thru a spare toggle switch I had on the dash.

Attachments

• DSC01022.jpg
    DSC01022.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey you're cheating! Editing posts after I click reply! Your west marine link is just an amp and speakers, not an actual 'radio'. The clarion is interesting, I'll have to check that out in detail.
Sorry, didn't see your reply while I was editing. The West marine one would be nice if you were just planning on bringing an MP3 player each time. Yes, the Clarion looks the best. Haven't researched much about them yet. Just got my boat a few weeks ago and still working on the "real" maintenence, haven't got to the "fun" toys yet.

l008com

I would have to mount mine vertically to fit in that space. Plus I was planing on putting my speakers there (maybe, pending outcome of a thread on the topic), and some lights when i add floor lighting. Space is at a premium on this little boat. But that Clarion looks really good.

l008com

Sorry, didn't see your reply while I was editing. The West marine one would be nice if you were just planning on bringing an MP3 player each time. Yes, the Clarion looks the best. Haven't researched much about them yet. Just got my boat a few weeks ago and still working on the "real" maintenence, haven't got to the "fun" toys yet.

Yeah I re-did all my wiring and installed an 8 switch panel, and new LED nav lights. But things were back ordered, and one thing after another slowed me way down. The stereo was supposed to be a summer project, now it's a NEXT summer project, along with installing my new seats (that I bought on iBoats, you're welcome!) But the time I'm done, I swear I will have at LEAST 100 feet of fresh copper in this 15 foot boat.

l008com

OK the clarion is too good to be true, the controller is "splash proof", not water proof. That thing is going to get rained on every single time it rains, mounted on my dash.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK the clarion is too good to be true, the controller is "splash proof", not water proof. That thing is going to get rained on every single time it rains, mounted on my dash.
It looks like the controller has an IPX6 rating which should be good enough for rain. Also, it looks like it's easily removable so you can put it away if you're expecting any severe weather.

l008com

Yeah i read further and found conflicting info on just how water proof the controller is. I emailed a bunch of questions to crutchfield, they're usually really good with details.

Maybe once i get the stereo installed, I can hook up the speakers to the horn switch, to give my electric horns an extra little boost :p

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Plz see my post num 5 again That is a regular car stereo thats been in there over 15 yrs .. Still works fins from being protected in its water proof housing. Many stereos now have remote like a TV, Boy that would be slick if that would work with the cover down:confused:

l008com

Plz see my post number 7. My boat is much smaller than yours. I don't have space to mount it there, and mount the speakers and lights I also want to mount there. Oh and cupholders. Two of those flat folding cupholdes. Sounds like a joke, but my boat needs cup holders bad. More than it needs a radio even. Every time you de-plane, you have to pull your bottled beverage out of the bilge.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Plz see my post number 7. My boat is much smaller than yours. I don't have space to mount it there, and mount the speakers and lights I also want to mount there. Oh and cupholders. Two of those flat folding cupholdes. Sounds like a joke, but my boat needs cup holders bad. More than it needs a radio even. Every time you de-plane, you have to pull your bottled beverage out of the bilge.

Huh.... In that pic it looks like there would be enough room, but its your boat so you would know. I have 4 speakers in my boat 2 surface mount 5 inchers hanging up undr the dash pointing backwards and 2 6x9s in the base of the rear seats facing forward.. It rocks pretty good.
One thought on putting your cupholders in the walk way... When I bought the boat the orig owner had the stereo mounted where it is now,but it wasnt recessed, It was flush and the knobs stuckout. They didnt last at all, ANYTIME you came thru the walkway they got bumped. Knobs broke off and got beat to poop. And my walkway is wider besides. I would try to keep that as open as possible, Can you mount the cupholder by ur feet maybe. Maybe mount the stereo in the inboard base of the psgrs seat? Its too bad you cant fit it where mine is, that works so well for me...

l008com

The cupholders I found fold almost completely flat. They aren't the solid kind that would be sticking out all the time. So hopefully bumping into them won't be a problem. As far as the radio, looks like that Clarion might solve the 'where to put my radio' problem.

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class

guys guys guys! stop this madness your over thinking and over paying! google motorcycle amp/speakers and youll find a bunch of these
http://www.google.com/products/cata...OqApD2ygXTu62-Cw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
hide everything and plug in a cheap mp3 player/fm radio/ smartphone and your done!
i have mine hooked up to my smartphone and run slacker radio for free