Navionics vs FlyToMaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicComics

Recruit
Anyone tried either or preferably both of these water GPS apps for phones (iPhone/android)? Opinions on which app is better and why?

Thanks!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Navionics vs FlyToMaps

The Navionics app for the iPhone is awesome. For the cost I can't imagine anything being better. I have the Great Lakes and Lakes North currently....for $20 the amount of map coverage and detail on those maps is just unreal.

I wasn't too impressed with what I saw for the FlyToMaps app for nautical use when I was looking into all of the options. I thought it looked fine for a one app does all...however, the marine/nautical side of it seemed a lot weaker than the Navionics app. Don't let the pretty map overlays and stuff fool you. You need a data connection for any of that to work. Out on the water, you need something that gives you good detail without any signal other than GPS.

Where you are using either may have some impact on which is better for you. However, based on my experience the Navionics app will give you good marine or lake information no matter where you are.

superbenk

Commander

I'll offer another endorsement for Navionics. I haven't looked at or used FlyToMaps, but Navionics is awesome! I installed a power outlet in my dash so I could keep my phone powered & got a window suction-cup mount thing. It makes for an awesome setup!

rkronald

Cadet

Hi there.
I tried both. Navionics App is containing lot of features and nice chart details, the flytomap quite less but is simple to read. The coverage of Navionics is the standard one, the Flytomap "All in ONE" offer the whole word in a single app. Via app I can access to a portal where I downloaded the whole USA salt and fresh Amazing! I tried also some fancy touristplaces like maldives and some Parks in Europe. It works fine. Conclusion: buy both and try, just few bucks to decide! Ron

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have the Navionics maps. Seems to work well and is a nice (although small) backup to a mounted GPS.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

Navionics charts run on raymarine systems. They are pretty good. I have he 3d charts on my E120. I have heard good things about the iphone app as well

Fisher BC

Recruit

Well I used both the apps for my iPhone but personally feel that FlyToMaps app is bit beneficial compared to navionics app. Because, Firstly it provided all the map functionality ease to read and marine database is very clear, i must say the details are up-to-date when i took it for boating a week ago with my friends.

Secondly FlyToMaps app is offering other maps of their product for free download. When a person come to know that he is getting all the necessary refinements in one app which also costs less price then why would someone go for navionics app which does not offer such free map downloads.

One example is very clear to know that FlyToMaps app is the best than navionics app.

Instructor

Recruit

I've been using Navionics app since a year and their maps are awesome. I recently have seen my cousin using Flytomaps app and I asked him how the product is... he said! its fantastic. After looking at the maps of Flytomaps even i think to give it a try as it is offering travel maps for free besides marine maps of different boating destinations.

Let me try them and get back again.

Sailor10

Recruit

Navionics been always good for marine apps on the other hand Flytomaps apps are also comparative in providing credible marine database.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I downloaded the Navionics Lakes US West for Android...not impressed at all. It's worth the $13..but just as an emergency backup....and then, just barely.

superbenk

Commander

Flytomap was selling their iPhone app for $0.99 last week so I bought it. After poking at it for awhile, I'm not overly impressed compared to Navionics. I guess my biggest problem is that there aren't many useful maps for my location (yet?). All I could find was a maritime map of the Delaware river, but nothing for the local lakes.

I do like the interface a bit more & especially how you can zoom in on the compass, speed & distance indicators. Other than that, Navionics wins it for me easily.

Lancer01

Recruit

I use flytomaps app on my bike rides and it's accurate and convenient. It does drain the battery so I always put the iPhone in sleep mode and only check it occasionally. Gps positioning is great. A good app that highly recommend.

Aames

Recruit

Hmm, I guess you could try out flytomap, it looks like it would meet all your needs.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Hmm, there sure seems to be a lot of users with only 1 post on this thread. Something tells me that many of these users are subtly advertising for flytomaps.

skargo

Banned

I use the Navionics app on my HTC EVO, it is the only app I have paid for($10) and it's great. I have a Raymarine A65 on board, so it makes sense for me.

Sstev

Recruit

After using the Navionics App for iPad and the same app of FlytoMap as well, both maps seem to be more precise. The general consensus is that both of these company apps are really great apps. I would say that these apps are killer apps to the more traditional GPS Navigation system.

Status
Not open for further replies.