VHF radio and antenna install help please

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

I went to install a fixed mount vhf radio. The tight quarters under the helm made it very difficult to locate a hot wire amongst the jumble of wiring. The radio will be mounted under the dash below the stereo system (see pic with red box below). Should I pull the stereo forward and and tie into the stereo's hot wire? Any suggestions would be GREATLY helpful.

The second question is about mounting the antenna. The arrows in the pic below shows where I want to mount it. My concern is that because of the tightness under the helm I might not be able to reach the underside of the mount to attach lock nuts. Any ideas?

As always...much thanks,

Paul Bolden

1025917455_09282010_1.jpg

2146048333_09282010_2.jpg

Haffiman

Commander
Re: VHF radio and antenna install help please

A VHF should be wired with separate wires DIRECTLY on the battery (main switch).
In case of failures in electrical system, the VHF should be the last to go down.
Not even the main consumption B+, neg and fuse box under the dash are legal power sources.
Totally separate circuit.

rwidman

Lieutenant

A VHF should be wired with separate wires DIRECTLY on the battery (main switch).
In case of failures in electrical system, the VHF should be the last to go down.
Not even the main consumption B+, neg and fuse box under the dash are legal power sources.
Totally separate circuit.

The VHF does not have to be connected directly to the battery. Connecting it to a distribution panel will be just fine as long as it's been properly installed. The negative lead can be connected to a convenient negative buss, again, as long as it is properly installed.

You cannot splice into the power lead to the stereo.

If you can't figure out how to properly install your VHF radio, have it installed by a pro. It's important safety equipment.

Haffiman

Commander

After a too close lightening north of Jakarta, Indonesia, some years back, I'm quite happy I wired as instructed by the authorities back home when installing my VHF:
Separate circuit from main switch.
Even if not a direct hit, just too close, the VHF was the only one item that still had power supply.
That my sending module was blown due to antenna induction, I only discovered a few days later, but at least my receiver worked.
Luckily it only took me a couple of hours to restore the most.
The wind instrument was the only one not to be saved and that shorted out the complete consumption circuit. It did not only kill the instrument fuse, but even the main fuse (additionally installed, not factory standard). The instrument autofuse in the panel in fact melted into a complete short.
My installation however is according to international standard and use.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Paul Bolden